Audio lag at 1080p

InternetKillTV

Continuing the series of odd technical issues that I can't seem to solve, I've currently got issues with playback in 1080p, at any capacity. It's usually more audio. If I have Netflix or Youtube open and it's streaming at 1080p then the audio will suddenly get extremely choppy. The video playback is generally fine although it occasionally slows down but the audio essentially becomes a slowed down, distorted, choppy and clipping mess. It's not like the videos are buffering and my internet speed can't handle them, they've loaded just fine, but this audio (and eventually) visual lag worsens and worsens. It's only with video playback. If I play a game it's fine, if I play a game and have Netflix or Youtube on my second monitor then the problems start and even the game becomes incredibly laggy.

This has only started in the past few weeks and my PC should be more than capable at handling the playback without issues. I have an Nvidia GTX680 2GB and my first idea was to update the drivers but that hasn't seemed to help! Any ideas?

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Does this only happen when viewing a video within a web browser?

Have you tried a local 1080p file, if a downloaded file works fine then it would highlight an issue within the browser. You could try using hardware acceleration (or disabling it if its on already) and you could try updating flash. For YouTube you can also change the player to the newer HTML5 here https://www.youtube.com/html5?gl=GB which may fix the issues.

Try this stuff and let me know.

InternetKillTV

It does seem to be exclusive to the browser! The lag worsens either at higher quality or if I increase the size of the player or go full screen. How exactly do I disable/enable hardware acceleration? Are we talking Flash acceleration or acceleration done by GFX card?

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Hardware acceleration puts the video processing onto the graphics card which is far more efficient compared to the CPU for video processing

You can enable it for flash by right clicking on a flash video window. Choose settings and the window should give you a tick box for hardware acceleration (if not its the far left tab). It may require you to restart the browser or refresh the page for it to take affect. Try it and report back with results.

InternetKillTV

Ah okay, doing this on Chrome isn't giving me a settings tab but instead the following options:

Get video URL
Get video URL at current time
Get embed code
Report Playback issue
Get debug info
Stats for nerds
About the HTML5 player

Is there a way to bypass this and get the flash menu?

InternetKillTV

Nvm, I installed a plugin that blocks HTML5 for Youtube. I've ticked and unticked the Hardware acceleration box and neither have fixed the issue so my problem remains unfortunately.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
You can try disabling/enabling the hardware acceleration within Chrome. Go to settings, scroll down and select show advanced settings and there is a tick box towards the bottom for hardware acceleration.

Failing that I would recommend reinstalling Chrome fully.