AUO screen VS standart matte

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lavaridge

Could you explain what makes it so much better than the alternative screens? I've read good, though brief, reviews of it but, since I've never used any non-standard screen before, I don't really know too well what sort of difference to expect.

Also, does it have (m)any of the flaws which glossy screen advocates say are common on matte displays?

Hopefully this will help the OP too :)

Last edited:

Yamikotai

Expert
Colour accuracy and reproduction. The colours displayed on it are much more accurate compared to standard TN panels (95% compared to 45-60%... 70% if you're lucky). It really does look fantastic.
I'm currently using this image (below) as my desktop background in order to show off the screen to people, since it's a vibrant image covering a very wide area of colour.
http://cdn.skyje.com/gallery/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/ips_wallpaper.png

With images like that it's very clear when you look at it on the AUO screen versus a standard TN.

Now, regarding issues of matte screens. They're not really that big of an issue - this panel looks far better than any screen I've ever seen, glossy or matte. And I own a Galaxy S2.

Yamikotai

Expert
Figured I'd update this with the screen part of (the draft of) my review of the Genesis IV:
First up, the star of the show – the screen. I opted to spend the extra on the 1080p AUO 95% gamut LED. Suffice to say, it is magnificent. Colours are disturbingly accurate and vibrant. So far I’ve tested it by watching The Avengers from my Blu-Ray rip – keep in mind that this is a film I’ve watched a dozen times, and in some places it felt like I was watching a whole new film. Anywhere with even a subtle vibrancy of colour now looks spectacular, most notably the titular characters’ costumes – Iron Man’s suit looks fantastic, and the iconic suit and shield of Captain America (the red rings of the shield look especially good). And don’t get me started on Thor’s cape – I had no clue before how red it actually is. I don’t think I’ve ever seen something so red. And after saying that, I should point out that it doesn’t look over-saturated, just very red. There were similar improvements in the recently-released remaster of Star Trek: The Next Generation. I also tried out Minecraft for a while, which looked noticeably nicer but didn’t show as much of a fundamental improvement as The Avengers and TNG did.

Overall, the screen is just wonderful – one of the requirements for my laptop this time round was at least a 1080p screen, after finding that the 1336x768 14” screen on my previous laptop rather sub-par for some tasks during my first year of university. This requirement was what ultimately led me to PCS, as they were one of the few companies I could find that would offer all of the specifications I wanted. The relatively resolution (1080p screen in a 15.6” format) makes all text and video look wonderfully sharp, and allows you to fit really quite a lot of work into a small space. When doing my research, I found some people complaining that they had to increase the DPI setting in Windows to use it comfortably, and in fact if you get the OS preinstalled by PCS they set it higher by default. Personally I find the default DPI perfectly usable and exactly what I’m after in a high-resolution screen. It’s especially nice for doing word processing on, as the fantastic whites make reading and writing in Word 2010 (which I’m writing this in) very easy on the eyes.

Anyway, two paragraphs just on the screen is more than enough. Now, the.....

I read its not really that important if your using it mainly for gaming?
If absolutely the only thing you're doing on the laptop is gaming, then despite the noticeable improvement over ordinary screens I still wouldn't say it's worth the price difference. However if you're going to be doing other stuff, even just web browsing, then I'd recommend it.

Last edited:

Alloid

Bronze Level Poster
Actually for me graphics is very important, especialy in the games. How I can see by the posts - my dual 7970m really needs this AUO screen. =)

Keithg

Enthusiast
I had similar difficulties but I chose the standard matt. And I have been very impressed.
PCS stated on a another thread that the standards are an LG panel and a review found that these are about 70% colour accuracy.
I have no doubt that the AUO's is the better screen but I wanted to say that the standard is still fantastic.

Disappointing for me!

Google through Google Chrome.pngGoogle through IE.png
Which to choose?
Does diffrence cost this 85 pounds?

Opinions are welcome!

Thank you!

My experience has been extremely disappointing (AUO 95%Gamut in Optimus V). Oversaturated unnatural colours with poor graphics display (different colour reproduction of web page graphics, on different search engines) despite return and apparent fixing job by PCS. Don't venture unless you have seen it for yourself. I have much cheaper 3 other standard HD display Laptops in the house hold. Each beats this one hands down.

steaky360

I hope the screenshots were meant to demonstrate some difference in colour production/etc. Seemingly (at least for me) they looked almost identical, which makes sense because its the display that makes them look different rather than the output from the graphics card (which is what is copied when you screen grab).

I can't speak for any lack of quality though, the only PCS laptop I've seen was fine.

bharatk

Does anyone have an ida how the IPS Panel compares in terms of colours to a standard matte screen and the AUO 95% matte screen?

Yamikotai

Expert
View attachment 4063View attachment 4064

My experience has been extremely disappointing (AUO 95%Gamut in Optimus V). Oversaturated unnatural colours with poor graphics display (different colour reproduction of web page graphics, on different search engines) despite return and apparent fixing job by PCS. Don't venture unless you have seen it for yourself. I have much cheaper 3 other standard HD display Laptops in the house hold. Each beats this one hands down.

It is a cheap screen (for what it is) so requires a fair bit of calibrating to get the colours right.

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
From my experience the IPS Panel offers the best viewing angles vs the Standard or AUO. The AUO offers the better colour contrast out of the three. For gaming or general use the Standard matte is fine.

bharatk

From my experience the IPS Panel offers the best viewing angles vs the Standard or AUO. The AUO offers the better colour contrast out of the three. For gaming or general use the Standard matte is fine.

Thanks moosEh.

For me seems to be a choice between the IPS and standard matte screen, as the AUO seems to have mixed reviews about colour representation. Main main use is for web development, photography editing and retouching and video editing, and some minor 3D gaming.

I also would like to use the laptop in presentations for web/photo/video work so the IPS seems the best option due to the wider viewing angles however I was wondering how the standard matte and IPS compared in terms of colours.

bharatk

And with respect to the above my choice was between the Cosmos II with the IPS screen and the Optimus V with a standard matte.

There isn't a great deal difference in price between my customisations of the above which are listed below but there seems to be a 29% difference in performance of the graphics cards (as per game-debate.com - see link below) where the GTX 765M on the Optimus V outperforms the GT 750M on the Cosmos II and if the 29% and higher resolution performance increase in the review is accurate then this would definitely be worth it on 3D games.

GRAPHICS CARD COMPARISON
http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/inde...6&compare=geforce-gtx-765m-vs-geforce-gt-750m

COSMOS II
------------
Chassis & Display
Cosmos Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD IPS LED Widescreen (1920x1080)

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-4800MQ (2.70GHz) 6MB

Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (1 x 8GB)

Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 750M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11

Memory - Hard Disk
750GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD7500BPKX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)

mSATA SSD Cache / Storage Drives
120GB Kingston SSDNow mS200 mSATA (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)

DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)

Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)

Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)

Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack

Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® ADVANCED-N 6235 (300Mbps) + BLUETOOTH

USB Options
3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD

Battery
Cosmos Series 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (48.84WH)

Power Lead & Adaptor
1 x UK Power Lead & 90W AC Adaptor

Operating System
Genuine Windows 8 Professional 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£109)

Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE

Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE

Keyboard Language
COSMOS SERIES UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD

Notebook Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE

Webcam
INTEGRATED 2.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM

Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)

Dead Pixel Guarantee
1 Year Dead Pixel Guarantee Inc. Labour & Carriage Costs (£19)

Insurance
1 Month Free Laptop Insurance inc. Accidental Damage & Theft

Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)

Build Time
FAST TRACK 5 WORKING DAY DISPATCH (£39)

Quote Value: £1,122.00

---------------------------------------------------------

OPTIMUS V
-----------

Chassis & Display
Optimus Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-4800MQ (2.70GHz) 6MB

Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (1 x 8GB)

Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 765M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11

Memory - Hard Disk
750GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD7500BPKX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)

mSATA SSD Cache / Storage Drives
120GB Kingston SSDNow mS200 mSATA (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)

DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)

Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)

Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)

Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack

Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® N135 802.11N (150Mbps) + BLUETOOTH

USB Options
3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD

Battery
Optimus Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,200 mAh/76.96WH)

Power Lead & Adaptor
1 x UK Power Lead & 120W AC Adaptor

Operating System
Genuine Windows 8 Professional 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£109)

Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE

Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE

Keyboard Language
OPTIMUS SERIES UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD

Notebook Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE

Webcam
INTEGRATED 2.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM

Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)

Dead Pixel Guarantee
1 Year Dead Pixel Guarantee Inc. Labour & Carriage Costs (£19)

Insurance
1 Month Free Laptop Insurance inc. Accidental Damage & Theft

Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)

Build Time
FAST TRACK 5 WORKING DAY DISPATCH (£39)

Quote Value: £1,129.00

------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.