Auto Switch to LAN from Wi-Fi

GJOB

Bronze Level Poster
Hi,

I'm having difficulty getting our PCS laptops to auto-switch to LAN when the cable is plugged in.

I've tried the suggestions I could find from Google - Priority settings, re-ordering connections - basically everything I could think off.

Can anyone shed some light on potential solutions - I've done everything from these 2 sites:

http://superuser.com/questions/247601/make-windows-7-ignore-wifi-when-ethernet-is-available

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/2799...ty-of-wiredwireless-network-cards-in-windows/

Thanks.

steaky360

Sorry this is probably obvious (I'm kinda thinking so as I'm writing) but is it struggling to go from wifi to lan when the cable's plugged in or from lan to wifi when the cable is removed (or does it do that ok)?

I assume simply switching off the wifi doesn't sort it?

GJOB

Bronze Level Poster
So at the moment Wifi connects OK and when ethernet cable is plugged in it is effectively ignored. If I switch off wifi it picks up the cable, if I switch on the wifi it auto-switches back to wifi - basically Wifi is getting priority but I want LAN to have priority.

Does that help explain better?

steaky360

Does that help explain better?

Yes and after re-reading your initial post I think I just 'Derped' as it was adequately explained previously :) - Sorry about that!

When you followed the steps from howtogeek/superuser above do they appear to work at all and just not save? ie does the Ethernet connection stay at the top of the list after say a restart?

GJOB

Bronze Level Poster
Hi sorry, for the delay replying.

Yes, even after a restart all settings are showing LAN to have priority.

Tested again, wifi off > switches to LAN. Wifi on > switches to Wifi and ignore LAN.

GJOB

Bronze Level Poster
I've heard back that our Dell machines have a BIOS setting that is enables but there is no similar setting on the PCS machines....

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I've heard back that our Dell machines have a BIOS setting that is enables but there is no similar setting on the PCS machines....

What makes you think that it's not switching to LAN, how are you telling that?

AFAIK, when you plug in a LAN whilst being on wireless it will create a secondary network for the LAN.

If you go to network and sharing center, you'll see them both present.

GJOB

Bronze Level Poster
On the Dell machines the Icon in the task bar switch to LAN when the LAN cable is present andswitches back to Wireless seamlessly when removed. It doesn't do that on the PCS machine. Yes the network and sharing centre shows them both but it still gives Wifi priority.

The problem it causes is that we have 26 devices connecting to wi-fi AP even when wired to the LAN, despite regular reminders the users forget to switch to flight mode and are there not making use of the gigabit network.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
On the Dell machines the Icon in the task bar switch to LAN when the LAN cable is present andswitches back to Wireless seamlessly when removed. It doesn't do that on the PCS machine. Yes the network and sharing centre shows them both but it still gives Wifi priority.

The problem it causes is that we have 26 devices connecting to wi-fi AP even when wired to the LAN, despite regular reminders the users forget to switch to flight mode and are there not making use of the gigabit network.

I see what you mean, thanks for the explanation. That's above my knowledge on how to prioritise traffic I'm afraid.