Azure First Impressions

SteveT

Silver Level Poster
Case
CORSAIR GRAPHITE SERIES™ 780T FULL TOWER CASE
Overclocked CPU
Overclocked Intel® Core™i7-6700k Quad Core (4.00GHz @ upto MAX 4.60GHz)
Motherboard
ASUS® Z170-A: ATX, LG1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs
Memory (RAM)
16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X FURY DDR4 2666MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti - DVI, HDMI, 3 DP
1st Hard Disk
480GB KINGSTON HYPERX SAVAGE SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 560MB/sR | 530MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk
2TB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 64MB CACHE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W RM SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Processor Cooling
Corsair H100i GTX Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
USB Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 4 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Operating System
Genuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence
Windows 10 Upgrade
FREE Upgrade to Windows 10 with all Windows 7 & Windows 8.1 Purchases*
DVD Recovery Media
Windows 10 (64-bit) DVD with paper sleeve
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365
Anti-Virus
BULLGUARD INTERNET SECURITY - FREE 90 DAY TRIAL
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
PCS EXTRA-CARE DIAMOND DELIVERY - MON-FRI, PRE-NOON
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 8 to 10 working days

My new build arrived exactly 28 earth days after I placed the order. I am good with that considering the now resolved Asus issues. I paid to have it get here before midday and it arrived at about 9.00am.

Customer support over the past few weeks has been poor, as has been noted elsewhere. I never did get any answer from the online help and the average amount of time it took for someone to pick up the phone was about 15 minutes. I know they have been working hard to resolve the backlog and get support back up to how they would like it. Whenever I did speak to someone they were polite and professional and helpful.

The cardboard box it come in is big. I know I have to keep it just in case of RMA, but I may have to rent a barn to do so...

The packaging was very good, very secure, at least on the outside. There was a big notice that I had to take care and remove the inflatable plastic bag they put inside the box to protect the parts in transit. I didnt have to do this as there wasnt one in mine.

Neither, it turned out, had anyone included the mains plug. Not that thats a big issue, there was one plugged into my TV, and I dont suppose I will be watching TV for a while.

The case and the innards look immaculate, no scratches or scuffing. The left side panel doesnt completely perfectly align with the case, but it almost does and is acceptable even for an Audi driver like me.

The Ram is Palit, not Kingston.

I cannot get the Dell U2515 to work with my new Cromo DP lead. I have tried all the various combinations and nothing. The Dell works fine with the miniDP lead from the Macbook Pro. Luckily I had a spare HDMI lead, after all, I am not going to be using the bluray player for a while for obvious reasons. Not only does it work perfectly but it works at 1440p which is something of a relief.

The fans emit a steady soft whoosh and Corsair link confirms that everything is running at not much more than room temperature except for one of the Ram cards (at least I assume that's what it is) which it says is 100 degrees C. I am hoping this is an error, assume it is as it was saying that from the moment I turned it on, the other is 30 degrees.

I dont know if it has been OC'd and if so by how much. Not something I know anything about. I have downloaded CPU-Z but I dont really know what I am looking at. I havent had any info from PCS about (it isnt where I thought it would be, on the order). Not that it really matters to me, be nice to know though.

Windows 10 looks very functional coming from Safari of late, the scaling works well to 1440pm 25inch.

All in all I am very pleased with my nice new toy, this is the third build I have had from PCS, and despite the problems over the last few weeks, I would buy from them again.

Last edited:

WilliamW

Practically the same build I am getting but a 1TB HDD instead of 2, and a different case. Played with it enough to give a review on performance? (I know I could youtube but seems better asking here as it would be relatively similar to mine) :)

SteveT

Silver Level Poster
I will update with performance when my steam library finishes downloading, should be done by about the middle of October...

Gr4

Silver Level Poster
lol water boils at 100c, mine is awaiting dispatch, i never knew palit made memory modules.

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
The Ram is Palit, not Kingston.

Palit generally make Graphics cards not ram, i am just checking to make sure you received everything as per the specification.

You should have two sticks of Kingston 8GB RAM and a Palit or Zotac GTX 980Ti

SteveT

Silver Level Poster
Palit generally make Graphics cards not ram, i am just checking to make sure you received everything as per the specification.

You should have two sticks of Kingston 8GB RAM and a Palit or Zotac GTX 980Ti

Yes was misreading it in all the excitement thanks. Quick question, Corsair link is currently showing one of the Kingston Rams at 32 degrees, the other at 100 degrees, it has only shown it at 100 degrees at all times. What could be causing this?

SteveT

Silver Level Poster
Just a quick note on gaming performance as asked for earlier. Running fraps on Witcher 3 on Ultra with everything on max (except Hair Works switched off and AA x4) I was getting between 45fps and 85 fps, mostly in the 50's and 60's. That's 60hz 1400p. It looks fabulous. The sound is really good too running through a cheapish Klipsch 2.1 ProMedia setup. I haven't even bothered to find and plug in my external sound card yet. Dipped briefly into Elite Dangerous for a minute, that looked amazing too. When I get my Saitek X52 pro out of whatever box it is I will give it a thorough test. I really don't think you will be disappointed WilliamW :)

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
Yes was misreading it in all the excitement thanks. Quick question, Corsair link is currently showing one of the Kingston Rams at 32 degrees, the other at 100 degrees, it has only shown it at 100 degrees at all times. What could be causing this?

Try a different program like HWMonitor. There is some issues with Corsair Link reading stats.