B550 vs X570

Tom_P

Bronze Level Poster
Hi all,

I've seen a lot of builds and forum posts recommending the X570 boards over B550 boards, including for "mid-range" builds (e.g. Ryzen 5600X, RTX 3060Ti - type gaming builds). I was wondering what the reasoning is for this? I understand that the X570 boards are better in several ways, however in terms of performance of the hardware for gaming use is there actually a difference? If the B550 can fully utilise your typical "gaming" build hardware such that the user experience between the two is basically identical, what's the benefit of the extra £50-£70 for the X570?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi all,

I've seen a lot of builds and forum posts recommending the X570 boards over B550 boards, including for "mid-range" builds (e.g. Ryzen 5600X, RTX 3060Ti - type gaming builds). I was wondering what the reasoning is for this? I understand that the X570 boards are better in several ways, however in terms of performance of the hardware for gaming use is there actually a difference? If the B550 can fully utilise your typical "gaming" build hardware such that the user experience between the two is basically identical, what's the benefit of the extra £50-£70 for the X570?
X570 is the premium tier board, B550 is mid range and A520 is entry level.

The main difference is connectivity options and memory support.

But also X570 has much better VRM load tollerances so can handle the higher end chips better.

Basically anything from a 3900x / 5900x and upwards, you HAVE to have X570 for the VRM capabilities.

Below that, B550 has benefits for audio work because of Thunderbolt support.

Most of the time though, if the budget is there, we'd recommend X570.

Gavras

Master Poster
I really think the ASUS product Director was hitting too many Blue Smarties when they decided on product range for AMD range of boards.

if you look at the boards that accept a Ryzen 7 3800x or a Ryzen 7 5800x, it’s. crazy.

Even with just a X570 Strix board.....

then throw in the rest of the product line lol.