bad luck or unidentifed problem?

Al.Neri

Super Star
for the first 2 years of having my PC, it ran perfectly, without problem.

since my first RMA though at the end of 2012, it's been a different thing altogether. I have had to RMA my system 6 times since november last year, 4 times since april.

in that time, I have had 3 GPU replacements, 2 PSU replacements and have had to have my RAM replaced.

the last RMA (RAM replacement), I had returned to me 2 weeks ago, and within a week, I have started to develop display problems once more.

I have sent 3 messages to PCS through my account message system in the last week, and have even emailed them. I still haven't received a reply, where before, they replied within hours.

I'm beginning to wonder if I am being fobbed now.

is this just bad luck, or is there a more pressing issue elsewhere that is not being tested for?

incidentally, anyone who has had to RMA their computer, have you had to do so as often as I have?

it seems as though my computer is spending more time away from me than it is with me, and the dispruption/frustration at all these problems going wrong is starting to grind my gears.

for the record, nothing is overclocked, no changes have been made, either hardware, or software related, and the error reports list faulty components.

PC. other things that have served to annoy me include case damage (this was addressed by RMA) and other hardware issues that I have asked to be checked since as early as april (still not addressed, and acknowledged in april as being non-existent)

steaky360

Ah man thats bad, I've not had to RMA my full rig before (fortunately?) so I can't speak for that specifically. However I have sent components back and have had no issues with PCS. You have said yourself usually you get better service, so maybe this could just be down to how busy they are (from other threads, they are exceptionally busy...). Hopefully they'll get it sorted!

Al.Neri

Super Star
well as I said, until november last year, it was flawless.

I've had to return it that many times, even the DPD driver jokes about it.

I just don't find it funny, especially with the loss of display happening more and more frequently.

steaky360

well as I said, until november last year, it was flawless.

I've had to return it that many times, even the DPD driver jokes about it.

I just don't find it funny, especially with the loss of display happening more and more frequently.

It's not funny. Only thing I would suggest is trying to phone as opposed to using the message system. That way you get an answer straight away. If its a hardware fault, you should get a replacement. If its not (maybe driver issue of some kind? - although I would guess this has already been thoroughly investigated) then some more work will need doing.

Al.Neri

Super Star
my spec has changed from what I ordered.

the first RMA I had my HD5970 replaced for a HD7970, since then I have had display issues with both 7970's. the first time I lost the display altogether. this time, it is cutting out intermittently, and is becoming more and more frequent.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
What was your first RMA for (the one at the end of 2012)? What was the diagnosis and what was replaced/repaired by PCS? It seems to me that all your troubles date from that RMA so it would be handy to know the details. (I know it was the graphics card, but what were your symptoms and what did PCS say was wrong).

Did anything change in your home at that time (new electrical equipment, rewire, building work, anything)? Do you have a surge protector in your input power lead? If not I would get one. Is anything else at home playing up? I'm just wondering in case the cause is something external to the PC?

Have you installed any new hardware (internal or external) on the PC? Have you installed/uninstalled any software? Do you apply Windows updates? Do you do optional updates as well as high priority updates? Do you apply driver updates supplied by Windows update? Do you keep drivers updated via original manufacturers sites?

Please don't think I'm being critical or accusing you of anything, but it seems that something changed around November last year that has led to your series of problems, it would be very useful to discover what changed.

Sorry for all the questions, I really am trying to help. :)

Boozad

Prolific Poster
I'm finding it strange that three GPUs have thrown up the same problem, have you tried different peripherals and checked your temperatures?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
that was the time my GPU died for the first time.

nothing else has changed other than what I listed.

Ok, but it is curious that all your problems seem to have started either at or after that first RMA.

I would suggest you phone PCS and tell them you're not a happy bunny. A chat is often more effective than an email. :)

Al.Neri

Super Star
using afterburner, it shows my GPU at about 35c when not gaming, then it goes up to about 65c when gaming with a fan speed of 1180+RPM, then all of a sudden, the fan RPM drops to 0, the temps rocket to over 500c as the screen cuts out.

add to that, I think my RAM might be dying, as I have started getting the same symptoms I had last time I sent it back.

seems everything is going wrong at once.

Al.Neri

Super Star
display just died again, then had to reboot twice before an error message about "overclocking failed" came up, which shouldn't have happened as nothing is overclocked.

this is weird, and is starting to **** me off big time!!!

keynes

Multiverse Poster
What warranty did you go for? You said you have your system for 3 years, I am assuming you went for platinum? I would suggest given them a call and request a complete system check or replace of parts if possible.

Al.Neri

Super Star
3 Year Gold Warranty (2 Year Collect & Return, 2 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£69)

as for calling them, I've called them in the past and the first time, I was told that they couldn't do anything.

that is when I started correspondence by email and messaging.

Al.Neri

Super Star
What's your CPU temperature? I'm not convinced it's the GPU that's the problem.

the various cores vary from 35c to 48c

I've removed and reseated my GPU, the loss of display hasn't happened since, but I have been here before, I know better than to get my hopes up.