Battery wear level

Duddy1985

Bronze Level Poster
I have had my Vortex II for just under 3 months and already the battery has a wear level of 6% is this normal? are there ways to help reduce the battery wear level. I very rarely use my laptop on battery.

Thanks

Finn

Enthusiast
There are some quite good articles on lithium ion batteries such as this one

In summary a lithium battery loses the most capacity when kept at a 100% charge and at 60 degrees C. At room temperature it loses around 20% capacity per year kept at 100% charge. If your going to store it the best way to maintain capaciity is at a 40% charge at 0 degrees C. (btw a 40% charge is usually a 0% charge in a battery indicator - you dont want to ever drop a lithium battery below a 40% charge so thats the point its effectively "empty")

However thats not a particularly practical way to keep your laptop battery, in general if your running on mains then remove the battery and run with just the AC adaptor, also try to avoid letting the battery getting too warm, another reason to remove the battery if your running on AC for a while.

Ticktock

My battery update

Hi I have raised this question before as regards the battery life of Clevo laptops. For an update on a new 62.16wh battery I received in January after 3 months and 20 charge cycles (before anyone to comment this is waiting until the 7% warning to recharge- charging until full and disconnecting immediately) my ware level is now 17%!
My conclusion is that although on the whole I'm happy with my Optimus laptop I am not happy with battery. If you look back on threads this topic regularly comes up.
Regards
Ticktock

Buzz

Master
Do you plug out your battery when at home and just use the mains with no battery in?
Or is your battery in all the time.

Duddy1985

Bronze Level Poster
How do you check the wear level? Tried completely discharging it and fully charging it?

You can check the wear usage with HWMonitor, they are not supposed to be very accurate but it gives you a idea. Not tried completely discharging and charging again but will do. Thanks

Duddy1985

Bronze Level Poster
Do you plug out your battery when at home and just use the mains with no battery in?
Or is your battery in all the time.

I have never took the battery out, but might start doing it now. I always use mains power so constantly plugged in, even when the laptop is off. I have heard this can cause bad effects to the battery. So you suggest i keep the battery out unless i really need it in.

Buzz

Master
Yeh

Id never leave my battery in unless I was using a laptop in an area with no power source. Each time the power is plugged in the battery will charge even if its full.

It would basically keep topping itself up. And to keep a battery lasting as long as you can, you should always fill it, then drain it then fill it rather then the likes of random charges.

GJOB

Bronze Level Poster
Is it possible to limit charging to 80%, via software? the latest Samsung has this feature and they claimed a large gain in lifespan by doing so.

Buzz

Master
I know the Sony Vaio has one alright, but I'd never buy Sony EVER so iv not used it to comment.
Sony_battery_carefunction.zip

A close friend of mine and his brother both bought Sony Vaio and iv fixed them for them more times then any other Vendor. lol. And whats worse is their EXACT Model doesnt show up on any Sony site. So I sway away.

The only other one I know of is batterycare but I think the function works by setting the max charge on the battery, so it will only "work" if the battery includes the charge-limiting circuitry.