Been a while....

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Hi,

Been a while since I was last on here. Probably about two years to be in fact. Got this work thing I have to go to, takes up all my time unfortunately. I also ended up with an expensive car hobby... -.-

I've still got my PCS Rig from 2011, hardly had a single issue with it tbh. So looking to get some upgrades in the future :)

I've been out of the tech news for so I'm not sure what would be the best setup. Are intel still the market leaders? Nvidia still preferable to AMD?

I've no idea on a budget as of yet (need to save first). However, I'd like a triple monitor setup. I've already got two 60hz monitors so might try and get a 3rd for cheaps. Also do people still game on 60hz monitors ? or are 120hz all the rage now?

Probably going to keep my case, as its awesome. Will also keep my ssd's/hard drives/case fans and psu.

Will certainly be needing a new mobo, 8/16gb ram, cpu, one powerful GPU, maybe a new cpu cooler - That is unless i can get a mounting mechanism to covert my Noctua D14 to the new mobo socket. Will also need a new win 10 license, as I will be converting my current rig to a small pc for my dad.

So erm yea, cheers :)

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Yo, long time no speak! As you can see from my spec, AMD are clear market leaders these days and are super awesome and we pray to Radeon (our Jesus) and thank him for the gifts we have received. Believe it or not we just recently celebrated GPU easter where the ultimate R9 Fury XYZ Ultra X2 OC Ultimate Edition died but was jumpstarted back to life by resetting the overclocks.

But seriously though, WOZZZZZUPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP?!!?!?!

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I think a heard Noctua dish out mounting brackets for new sockets? As in, for free.
Had a quick google and saw this: http://noctua.at/en/noctua-provides-free-mounting-upgrade-for-upcoming-intel-skylake-platform-z170 Haven't read it in detail, but posting in case of interest.

Though looking at your rig, it might use the same bracket as the new 1151 socket anyway: http://noctua.at/en/products/accessories/nm-i115x-mounting-kit

And ofc, welcome back! Though as a user that's hardly posted before a few days ago it feels odd to say that :)

Last edited:

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Yo, long time no speak! As you can see from my spec, AMD are clear market leaders these days and are super awesome and we pray to Radeon (our Jesus) and thank him for the gifts we have received. Believe it or not we just recently celebrated GPU easter where the ultimate R9 Fury XYZ Ultra X2 OC Ultimate Edition died but was jumpstarted back to life by resetting the overclocks.

But seriously though, WOZZZZZUPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP?!!?!?!

Hi mate, yea, not spoken for a while, even though In on steam most nights. 'm addicted to World of Tanks.... lol Been stuck playing it since September last year. The games completely rigged and is immensely frustrating, but addictive nevertheless.
Hmmm, so back to the age old question Nv vs Amd. I dont really play anything that is very demanding any more as I'm not really into fps gaming anymore. I do play total war every now and then, although that is poorly optimized and Attila doesn't even use SLI. so I guess i wont need anything top of the range. Could go for AMD as i've never tried them before, although, I will definitely need two cards! :)

Oh wozza, are you still running your PCS original setup?

lol, no idea how I'm going to sneak upgrades past the missus though...
I think a heard Noctua dish out mounting brackets for new sockets? As in, for free.
Had a quick google and saw this: http://noctua.at/en/noctua-provides-free-mounting-upgrade-for-upcoming-intel-skylake-platform-z170 Haven't read it in detail, but posting in case of interest.

Though looking at your rig, it might use the same bracket as the new 1151 socket anyway: http://noctua.at/en/products/accessories/nm-i115x-mounting-kit

And ofc, welcome back! Though as a user that's hardly posted before a few days ago it feels odd to say that :)

Hi mate, cheers for the link. I've always found Noctua very good to deal with. Spoke to them a few times in the past as a needed a couple of extra fan clips for the D14. Totally got three 140mm fans on.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Hi mate, yea, not spoken for a while, even though In on steam most nights. 'm addicted to World of Tanks.... lol Been stuck playing it since September last year. The games completely rigged and is immensely frustrating, but addictive nevertheless.
Hmmm, so back to the age old question Nv vs Amd. I dont really play anything that is very demanding any more as I'm not really into fps gaming anymore. I do play total war every now and then, although that is poorly optimized and Attila doesn't even use SLI. so I guess i wont need anything top of the range. Could go for AMD as i've never tried them before, although, I will definitely need two cards! :)

Oh wozza, are you still running your PCS original setup?

lol, no idea how I'm going to sneak upgrades past the missus though...

Hi mate, cheers for the link. I've always found Noctua very good to deal with. Spoke to them a few times in the past as a needed a couple of extra fan clips for the D14. Totally got three 140mm fans on.

Haha yes I am, plus an additional PC and a PCS laptop. Looking to upgrade later this year after the new GPUs and CPUs are released and when I no longer need 2 PCs.

You've probably noticed that all I play is CSGO and Cities Skylines, yet I still feel the need to have a high end PC. Could run those games on a potato, except my Cities mods taking up 5GB+ of RAM!

To be fair though, for GPUs they are both pretty equal, Nvidia is a bit pricier but a bit more energy efficient. As for CPUs AMD kinda sucks, having not really changed much in I think nearly 3 years. They are releasing a new chip with a brand new architecture later this year that hopefully makes them competitive again.

Spuff

Expert
Hi,
Also do people still game on 60hz monitors ? or are 120hz all the rage now?

I'm considering splashing out on a Acer X34 which by some is considered to be the best gaming monitor ever. It goes up to 100Hz. One reviewer I've seen says they can't see a difference between 100 and 144 and one says they can, but both agreed that 60 to 100 was a marked improvement.
I haven't so far seen anything faster then 60Hz, and I think most people probably are still gaming at that (given that nobody has jumped up and said you must get faster than 60Hz I think is testament to that). They say you can clearly see a difference between 60 and 100 or more, but I just don't know.

Last edited:

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I'm considering splashing out on a Acer X34 which by some is considered to be the best gaming monitor ever. It goes up to 100Hz. One reviewer I've seen says they can't see a difference between 100 and 144 and one says they can, but both agreed that 60 to 100 was a marked improvement.
I haven't so far seen anything faster then 60Hz, and I think most people probably are still gaming at that (given that nobody has jumped up and said you must get faster than 60Hz I think is testament to that). They say you can clearly see a difference between 60 and 100 or more, but I just don't know.

90-100Hz is my personal sweet spot, unless you get a sudden drop from 144 -> 100. Games seem super smooth around the 90-100 fps mark, the jump feels almost as big as 30 -> 60 fps and I tend to optimize game settings to achieve above 90-100fps. 144 is a noticeable but much smaller improvement. I could probably notice the difference but the only game I ever aim for max refresh rate is CSGO.

Be warned though, 60fps capped games seem really laggy after getting used to the higher refresh rate and 30fps games are more or less unplayable.

Last edited:

tom_gr7

Life Serving
hmmm, i've got two IIyama 2473HDS's at the moment. Could easily get a third and go for 3 screens, which is something i've always wanted to try.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
hmmm, i've got two IIyama 2473HDS's at the moment. Could easily get a third and go for 3 screens, which is something i've always wanted to try.

I've got two of them also and decided to go for a different one as my main. But I'm not that interested in triple screen gaming and the bigger screen is handy for development and the higher refresh rate is good for CSGO.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I've got two of them also and decided to go for a different one as my main. But I'm not that interested in triple screen gaming and the bigger screen is handy for development and the higher refresh rate is good for CSGO.

hmm yeah never thought of that mate. :)