Beeping at start up then shutdown

Keeny

Hey guys first time posting. Wonder if you can shed some light on my problem. Had a defiance 3? For 2.5 years with no problems until this morning. On bootup or sometimes just after windows starts, the laptop starts to emit a series of beeping noises then shuts down. So I opened up the laptop but could see no hardware loose or dust where it shouldn’t be.

On closer inspection I did notice that the GPU and CPU wasn’t spinning up as windows booted. This is all the info I have. Hopefully someone can help.

Regards

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
You mean the CPU/GPU fans weren't spinning up? A fan failure would overheat the laptop and cause it to shutdown.

Can you measure the temps and see what they are like?

Keeny

The laptop isn’t staying on long enough to allow me to take temps. But when I booted the laptop on and looked at the GPU and cpu fans they wasn’t spinning up.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Then it's probably overheating. You need to find out why the fans aren't working. Will they rotate if you push them? Can you see whether a connector is loose?

It seems unlikely that both fans would fail at the same time so I'd be looking for common factor.

Keeny

Ok so I checked the connections and nothing looked loose. But I just “pushed” and moved both fans then put the laptop back on and now it seems everything is fine. No idea there!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
In that case I would get a can of low pressure compressed air (made for cleaning computers and the like) and a soft brush and give the fans a good clean. Pay particular attention to the fan bearings, or as close to them as you can get. Use the compressed air to blow as much crud out of there as you can. Also ensure that the finned heat exhangers right next to the fans are completely clear. You need a good airflow through there for proper cooling and they easily get blocked up with gunk. :)