Best antivirus

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
anyone got an idea of the best antivirus around ive heard good thigns about bitdefender
Best free one in my opinion is microsoft security essentials,that's what I use and never had a problem in almost two years.

Last edited:

steaky360

I cant fault Norton to be honest. It got some bad rep in the past but its pretty good now! I think Maximum PC do a pretty comprehensive review of all the antivirus systems. Although whether that review is actually useful or not is also debatable :)

Raders09

I would highly recommend Kaspersky PURE. I've tried a lot of Anti Viruses in the past but find Kaspersky PURE gives the best protection for me. If its a free Anti virus your looking for then Microsoft Security Essentials would be at the top of the list.

Gishank

Bright Spark
ESET Nod 32 is my personal favourite. Every other has been riddled with false positive or failed to pick up things + had a high profile (took a tonne of resources). :)

niklad

Hey mate,

I agree with steaky360. I've had no problems with Norton internet security. I've been using it for years. Gone are the days where it would hog your system resources and slow your machine down. It is a solid bit of kit, not too expensive (you can find it for about 15 pounds for a 3 licence version) and has not missed a trick. Up until recently I used microsoft security essentials on one pc which isn't bad either.

Maike89

I've been using Unthreat Antivirus. I'm happy with it because it doesn't slow down my computer or have any annoying popups, it gets the job done as I haven't had a virus since I downloaded it.

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
I personally like Norton (like others have stated). I don't know if it's less hungry than it used to be or whether it's just because my PC is top spec but I have no problems with it. Scans when I want it to, scans any downloads when on the web automatically (no inconvenience at all) and if I'm gaming I can turn silent mode on (not sure what this actual does whether it runs as normal without popping up or whether it switches some features off but it works for me whatever it is!). Personally not a huge fan of free software, I know that they're probably perfectly sufficient but they're free for a reason. They don't have the levels of security that a paid version would have and a lot of it goes down to the User's actions which is all well and good but can often catch people out. Especially with the amount of downloads people rely on nowadays from the web. I like the added assurance of Norton popping up discreetly whenever I download something to tell me it's safe.

kruppsy

Master
Just for a bit of variety 'Webroot' was one I'd read about being very good in 2012. Their latest edition 2013 isn't available here yet I dont think (maybe by download?) but its been reviewed here:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2410545,00.asp

With the program being 1MB approx, yeah 1MB! and mainly using 'cloud' means it has almost no detrimental affects on your PCs performance whatsoever.

If I was going for a paid one myself, I'd be tempted to give this a try.