Best Drive to install games.

Member201

Hi Folks
I am new to PC Gaming and still waiting patiently for my system to be built. (2 months now).
My primary drive for the OS is a 500GB Sansung 980 PRO M.2.
My secondary drive is a 2TB Firecuda M.2. Should I install the games on the Firecuda and leave the samsung drive solely for the O.S?

Thanks and Regards
PL

steaky360

It doesn't 'really' matter - you won't lose performance really either way - or certainly not meaningful performance.

I'm in a similar situation and I also have a sata SSD - obviously the SSD is lower, but generally, unless the game benefits from a faster drive due to say load times, I've not really noticed much of a difference between primary m.2, secondary m.2 or ssd when actually playing the games.

If you do leave the primary m.2 for windows, then if you ever need to reinstall windows, it'll be a far less painful thing to do.

Harag

Gold Level Poster
Hi Steaky360,
Thanks for the reply. I will load games onto the secondary drive as it will makes it easier to reinstall windows if needed.
Thanks
PL.

Same 2 drives I'm getting in my new system too... use the 500gb for windows, and the bigger one for games. I'm also getting a separate SSD drive to use for my docs, images, videos, game mods etc - to keep them away from my "game drive".

As you say, if you need to reinstall windows, it won't mess up your game drive :)