Best internet security for online gaming?

Which company do you think is the best for providing internet security whilst playing online games like DayZ? I've heard Webroot is good, any other suggestions?

wowcraftify

Gold Level Poster
I usually find some protected servers on valve games but I've never had issues gaming online. I never used to use security software of any kind until recently (bought kaspersky), I did a scan and my comp was completely clean even without security. Are there even any security threats when gaming? If so it's news to me.

Armin2222

Bronze Level Poster
I use no anti-virus or internet security, and 2 years on i have had no problems :D

tumblr_lvmq6qUVkX1qjmon9.jpg

Tallpaulos

Enthusiast
I use no anti-virus or internet security, and 2 years on i have had no problems :D

View attachment 4193

Edit - you don't KNOW of any problems :)

With the power of most PCs these days most viruses go unnoticed. Somebody somewhere might have your bank or Amazon details, which are being sold to some guy on a remote island in the Pacific as we speak....

Not to make you paranoid or anything.

I keep hearing how windows defender does a good enough job on its own now, but I'm not willing to test that theory.

Last edited:

Armin2222

Bronze Level Poster
Edit - you don't KNOW of any problems :)

With the power of most PCs these days most viruses go unnoticed. Somebody somewhere might have your bank or Amazon details, which are being sold to some guy on a remote island in the Pacific as we speak....

Not to make you paranoid or anything.

I keep hearing how windows defender does a good enough job on its own now, but I'm not willing to test that theory.

Having the imaginary bank details of a 15yo wont do anything good.

I only use this computer BTW...

Karnor00

Bright Spark
The best anti-virus is knowing how to use the computer appropriately and how to be careful. It's not foolproof but then neither are anti-virus programs.

I don't use an anti-virus program either. But I always take care with how I use my computer. I'm the only person using it. I've not had a virus since I stopped using an anti-virus program about 6 years ago. Very occasionally I do download a free anti-virus program (usually microsoft security essentials) just to make sure I'm okay, but it's never found anything.

My dad on the other hand has had quite a few viruses/malware/etc - and he is using an anti-virus program.

That said, I certainly wouldn't recommend that people stop using their anti-virus. Just be aware that even with one there are still plenty of ways to get a virus/malware if you aren't careful.

Everon

Enthusiast
Over the last 5 years I have used Mcafee, Kaspersky and Norton internet security. They are all basically the same and offer the same level of protection as each other to the general user.

I recently moved to Kaspersky after reading lots of reviews but unfortunately the newest version (2014) has serious issues with windows 8 resulting in slow boot times, No gui to the Kapsersky program sometimes for minutes after boot and periodic application shutdowns in the background that are reported in the windows log. Its been discussed at length on the Kaspersky forums. Since those problems I am trying Norton Internet Security and all is well (so far)

If your looking for the best place to get reviews or opinions on a certain product it is best to check the forums for each program on the companys website.

Basic rules of thumb for the best Internet security are: Use a security program, its your choice which one and supplement that security with weekly scans using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and use an internet browser that allows Adblock and or No Script. Dont act like a dummy going to dodgy sites or opening junk email thinking that your totally safe as NO security application is a replacment for good old fashioned common sense.