best methods for overclocking with sli enabled

greybing

I have 2 geforce gts 460's and ,as I greatly enjoy overclocking ,I would like to see where I can go in performance with this multiple nvdia graphics card set up.
question 1,Is it better to overclock each card individually or due to the idiosyncratic nature of computer components[ie ,they are not all the same ,even the same models] or use the method where what you do to 1 of the cards is done to the other.To me this secondary approach seems a bit silly as I have stated already about the peculiar nature of components.For example you overclock on one card and it is stable but if the 2nd card automatically configures to the overclock of the first card then what happens if the 2nd card is not stable with the 1st cards stable overclock.Any advice would be appreciated .My reason for overcocking these cars in si configuration is less to do with adding any umph to my graphical prowess ,it is more of just that I really enjoy the process.My single overclock was stable [with my 1st gtx 460]So thanks for any advice which may be offered.cheeres and cheeryoh.Graham BEBBINGTON

Last edited:

pengipete

Rising Star
My understanding is that if you just use RivaTuner to overclock the primary card and the other is automatically overclocked but I've no experience of actualy doing it so I'm going from something I read a while back. That would also mean that if - for example, the secomd card was overclocked higher, it would fall back to match the primary. In terms of stability, you have to regard an SLI setup as a system - an instablity is within the system rather than any individual card. After all, once you reach the limit for either card, that's the limit for an SLI overclock. In other words, the lowest clockable card sets the maximum overclock for an SLI system.

As I say, I'm not talking from experience so I could be totally wrong. I would think that Rage3D or NVidia's forums would be the best source of info.

greybing

No,I think you can have different clock speed for each card.I am using MSI Afterburner and there is a an option to simultaneously overclock both cards or individually