Bios loads on second monitor instead of primary

spikopsycho

Enthusiast
Hey guys.

Just wondering if there is a way around this:When I boot up, the bios always displays on my second monitor and nothing appears on my primary till Windows actually starts.

This is annoying, as I have Windows 7 and Server 2008 installed, and if I were to select nothing, it would load server first, which is annoying as I use 7 most. (Server is just for uni work).

My primary monitor is connected via HDMI, and the secondary is connected via VGA. It's all set up in windows correctly as primary and secondary, but windows doesn't have a say in the bios.

All connected to a single GTX460 if that helps. Also, my primary monitor is a TV, not a 'proper' monitor, so don't know if that makes a difference?

Any ideas on this?

Thanks

pengipete

Rising Star
If you are dual booting those operating systems, you can select the default OS by right-clicking on the "Computer" iconand selecting Properties. When the next window opens, select the "Advanced..." option from the list on the left-hand side. A new window will open - "System Properties" - go to the "Advanced" tab - at the bottom of the window is a section called "Startup & Recovery" - click on the "Settings" button in that section. At the top of the window that opens, there's a cycle-gadget - use that to select the default operating system - Windows 7 in your case. Underneath that there is another option you might like to consider - it's the "Time to dsplay list of operating systems" and it's set to 30 seconds by default. That's the amount of time the PC will wait at that boot options screen before loading the default OS. If you reduce that time, it will dramatically speed up you boot times - especially if you use one of the OS's a lot more than the other.

EDIT - I found a webpage that explain the boot-order and uses illustrations. It's the same process I described but probably easier to follow.. http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2282-default-operating-system-change-default-boot-os.html

Regarding the Boot screens, it should be easy to cure. IN W7, open the NVidia graphics options app (just right-click on the desktop and it's listed on the pop-up menu) Make sure that your flat-screen is set as the primary device. If it is, it may be that Nvidia's app isn't sending details to Windows for some reason in which case, boot into Safe Mode and make sure that LCD is set as the primary screen in Windows own display settings. If it isn't, change it and reboot - hopefully, that will cure it. If it doesn't help, post back - there are a couple of other things we can do.

Last edited:

spikopsycho

Enthusiast
Thanks for the quick response! Awesome, 1 problem sorted, followed your instructions to change windows 7 to the default os to load and tis all good. Thanks! :D

For the second one, Everythings set correct in windows 7 (both windows utility and Nvidia control panel). However, in safe mode (in the windows utility, as nvidia control panel isn't available), windows can only detect the second monitor attached via the vga cable. Theres no way to set my TV as the primary in safe mode. Could this be something to do with the fact the TV's connected by HDMI?

Thanks for all the help so far, much appreciated.

Last edited:

pengipete

Rising Star
Explain - "Theres no way to set my TV as the primary in safe mode" - are you saying that it doesn't appear in the Display options (Control Panel/Display) or that it does but you can't change the setting?

spikopsycho

Enthusiast
Okies: The Tv just doesn't appear as a display option in safe mode - it can only detect the second monitor on vga

pengipete

Rising Star
I dug out an old an old monitor and connected an HD monitor using HDMI and and connected the other using VGA and got the same result - if there's a VGA display connected, it takes priority and there's no way in Windows to change that. (I suspect it may be impossible to change and that the VGA output is little more than a "safe" option). The HDMI connected screen remains blank until the NVidia display drivers kick-in as Windows loads.

I've tried every combinations of VGA, HDMI and DVI - even a DVI to VGA adaptor in both DVI ports -and as far as I can tell, there's a set order of priority for the display at boot-up - VGA, DVI1, DVI2 and HDMI in that order. The only way I could get the HD screen to display BIOS when two displays are attached is to have the HD screen on DVI1 and the second screen on DVI2. I tried using a DVI to VGA on DVI2 and it wouldn't work (that could be the adaptor so if you have one lying around, give it a try.

Unless someone can confirm that it is actually possible to get the boot screens on a screen outside of the order I've suggested, I suspect that it's a hard-coded routine - VGA being the oldest technology is checked first and if there's no VGA connection, a check is made for DVI and HDMI is the last choice.

I'll have a another look when I get time - hopefully over the weekend - but I'm fairly sure that the results I've got here are right. If it helps, connecting the PC to a HD display via DVI gives exactly the same picture quality as HDMI (though you need a seperate connection for audio) so don't think that you have to use HDMI to get the best picture.

I should add that I have no way to check if any of this applies to cards other than the GTX 460 as it's the only card I have with all three types of output.

Last edited:

spikopsycho

Enthusiast
Wow! Thanks for going to all that effort, didn't expect that at this time :D.

As it is, my tv I use as my primary doesn't have any DVI inputs, only HDMI and VGA, (Plus the older ones, scart etc).

Thanks for all the help though, one problem sorted anyway :), so I guess what you say about VGA taking priority as tis the oldest works.

Unless someone can confirm that it is actually possible to get the boot screens on a screen outside of the order I've suggested, I suspect that it's a hard-coded routine - VGA being the oldest technology is checked first and if there's no VGA connection, a check is made for DVI and HDMI is the last choice.

I'll take what ya said and see if anyone knows differently on different cards etc, but tis much better anyway now it loads Windows 7 instead of server by default.

+Rep for all your posts helping me :)

pengipete

Rising Star
I've tried a few settings to see if I could work around it but no joy. Even if the VGA monitor is powered off (not just in stand-by), there's no boot screen display on HDMI. (It does work with a VGA lead connected to the PC but not connected to a screen). The only thing I can't try is a DVI to HDMI adaptor. If your monitor has a DVI input, you might get it to work by using a DVI-HDMI adatpor in DVI-1 to the TV and a DVI connection from DVI-2 to the monitor. (The adaptors cost around £5 and arewidely available)

Off topic - I just noticed where you are. I'm Derby born & bred - lived there for 30 odd years and moved to Gloucestershire about 20 years ago.

Reactions: PCS