Bios update?

sh0k0nes

Hey guys.

A year back I purchased a Ryzen build with Asus Prime X370-PRO m'board.
Decided recently to check for bios update but the numbers make no sense. Mine is ver 9401 and the ones on ASUS site are down in the 4000s.
Any ideas?
Thank u.

K

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I would strongly advise you to contact PCS and ask whether there is anything in the updated BIOS that you need.

That's really is the $64k question. If the answer is no then leave it alone.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
To be fair I just wanted to know why the numbers don't match.

K
BIOS updates are not always applicable to every motherboard/chassis that the BIOS is written for. Sometimes the update is to better support some feature or hardware that's not installed on your motherboard/chassis for example. It s not the case that every BIOS upgrade is applicable to every motherboard/chassis.

Updating the BIOS introduces new code that's not been tested on your particular hardware anywhere near as thoroughly as has the code in the BIOS version you have installed. It's a fundamental rule that old software/firmware is more reliable than new software/firmware, so you only want to update any software/firmware if you actually need what's in the updated code - or you increase the risk of system instability for no good reason. Not only that, but updating the BIOS code is not without risk. Although it's generally a straightforward process these days it still can go catastrophically wrong, leaving you with a bricked device.

It's very difficult for the end user to know whether what's in an updated BIOS is applicable or useful to your motherboard/chassis, and that's one more advantage of buying from PCS. If you ask them, they will tell you whether you need whatever is in the updated BIOS. :)

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Where does it say your BIOS version is 9401?

No idea why the number would be listed like that. As you say, the ones on the Asus site for that specific board begin at 0502 and go up progressively to 4801.

As above, updating the BIOS where there isn't a need might be at best pointless, and at worst dangerous.

sh0k0nes

In the bios itself.
I should have made it clear from the beginning. I've been working in tech for 30 years. I know how bioses work and all possible issues. I've even written one in software.
I just wanted to know why there is a discrepancy.

K

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
It's possible nobody here knows - you could ask PCS or perhaps on the Asus forums / Asus tech support. If you get an answer I'd be interested to hear it. :) I'd probably try Asus as they will ultimately know best what version numbering conventions they use.

I don't think anyone was questioning your technical knowledge or experience. It's certainly far greater than mine.

Posts on this (or I suppose any) forum have a much wider audience than just those who comment, so comments are sometimes made with that in mind. This way if someone who has your mobo, but doesn't understand what's involved with BIOS updates, finds this via google, they are alerted to some of the complexities and risks.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
In the bios itself.
I should have made it clear from the beginning. I've been working in tech for 30 years. I know how bioses work and all possible issues. I've even written one in software.
I just wanted to know why there is a discrepancy.

K
Now I understand. :)

What tool are you using to check the BIOS version?