Black Flashing Squares on Edge Browser?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Try starting Edge with extensions disabled...
  1. Open the Command Prompt app
  2. Navigate to the folder C:\Windows\System32
  3. Enter the command start msedge --disable-extensions

DaelpixPhotos

Super Star
Try starting Edge with extensions disabled...
  1. Open the Command Prompt app
  2. Navigate to the folder C:\Windows\System32
  3. Enter the command start msedge --disable-extensions
I didn't know how to do that.

Anyway, I found on youtube that it might have something to do with hardware acceleration. I've turned it off via the browser, and it seems to have worked.

DaelpixPhotos

Super Star
Ok. It's not fixed. Been changing Youtube descriptions and the whole page has been going blank except for the description box:mad::mad::mad::mad:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Simple test is, does the same issue happen in other browsers? I would try Firefox rather than another Chromium browser.

If not, you know it's an issue with edge.

If clearing the history and cookies doesn't fix it, it's because it's an issue with something embedded in the browser. The fact it persists after disabling hardware acceleration suggests it's not related to the GPU (although that may be compromised also, but have to test separately). This can often happen with a compromised Java install, do you have java installed?

There are currently no known issues of this type on edge (there were in the past around 2 / 3 years ago), so would point to either your system being extremely outdated to a point where it won't have been receiving security updates (as it's out of support, anything previous to 22H2 is now out of support), a clean install would be recommended for this eventuality. You can check your windows version by typing "winver" into cmd

This is where these days, the time it takes to troubleshoot isn't really worth it anymore if it's a complex issue, because reinstall time is so little, you avoid so much wasted time and energy over troubleshooting. Yes it's lazy in some ways, but time is money, and far more valuable most of the time.

If the issue persists after reinstall, then you know it's not software related and can look towards the GPU.

DaelpixPhotos

Super Star
I've turned hardware acceleration back on.
I've turned off extensions - Adblock Plus and VidIQ (for Youtube)

Reinstalled Edge.

I'll see how it goes.

Java isn't installed.

Computer is updated to 23H2.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Too much of a farce to reinstall lightroom, all my games, fan software etc. So not doing it just yet
You shouldn't need to reinstall any games as they shouldn't be on the C drive, you just reinstall the games launcher and point the library to where your games are installed, and Lightroom is a 5 minute installation, then you just reload your backed up catalogue so it's back exactly how it was in a matter of moments.

Any program these days, the program install is separated from the content installation and settings, those should always be backed up off the C drive for eventualities like this.

A Windows reinstall including all programs, getting it to exactly the same point after a clean reinstall, should only ever take about 30 minutes if you've got things setup correctly.