Black screen, reboot loop.

matlew

Today my PC decided to lock up, so I hit the restart button and after that it hasn't booted. Or rather it is stuck in a constant reboot loop, at least according to the boot lights on the MB. It cycles about every 20-30 seconds. It displays nothing at all on the monitor whatsoever while trying to boot, I've checked the monitor with a laptop and it displays through that, so I don't think it's the monitor. I've tried booting it without any connections. I can't get it into Safe Mode (I gather this isn't a thing with Windows 10 and super fast SSD's, or it was disabled when shipped), it won't go into the automatic recovery mode after a few boot cycles. Although I'm confused which key you're supposed to spam to get safe mode, F5 right?

I've tried connecting the monitor to the onboard with an HDMI instead of the DP to the dedicated graphics, nada.

I tried using a Linux boot USB to see if it would at least pick up from that, nada. In the process of making a Windows reinstall USB but then I'll need to get access the USB, which if I gather right means spamming F8 to select boot option, but if it puts nothing on the screen, er....

At a total loss, no idea if this is hardware or software. All the fans are working, PC is clean, internal connections look solid but I don't want to start fiddling with pulling RAM etc yet. Currently on hold (for an hour) to PCS.

This is the system, about six months old now. Any and all help appreciated.

Case CORSAIR 275R AIRFLOW TEMPERED GLASS GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)AMD Ryzen 5 3600X Six Core CPU (3.8GHz-4.4GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
MotherboardASUS® TUF X570-PLUS GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0, CrossFireX) - RGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card8GB AMD RADEON™ RX 5700 - HDMI, DP - DX® 12
1st Storage Drive1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 64MB CACHE
2nd Storage DriveNONE
1st M.2 SSD Drive500GB SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 GEN 4 PCIe NVMe (up to 5000MB/R, 2500MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY DriveNOT REQUIRED
Power SupplyCORSAIR 750W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre European Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor CoolingSTANDARD AMD CPU COOLER
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: Corsair H80i V2 Hydro Cooler w/ PCS Ultra Quiet Fans
Thermal PasteSTANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Extra Case Fans2x 120mm Black Case Fan (configured to extract from rear/roof)
Sound CardONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired NetworkingWIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
USB/Thunderbolt OptionsMIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating SystemWindows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence
Operating System LanguageUnited Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery MediaWindows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office SoftwareFREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365 (Operating System Required)

matlew

The first thing to check is, when it gets turned on and is not displaying anything, whether the Motherboard is flagging up any hardware issues (Boot issue, Graphics, CPU or RAM). If it is highlighting one of those then someone will, hopefully, be able to advise further. For reference, here is the relevant page from the manual to show the LED positions and what the colours mean:

View attachment 17085

Apologies if you already checked this but it wasn't totally clear in your post

Thanks for the response!

It looped white, yellow, red, restart. I've had an hour long chat with tech support, we tried the usual suspects, disconnecting externals, disconnecting RAM sticks, SSD, Graphics card, nothing changed. I'm due an RMA on wednesday with luck (working every other day next week) unless by some miracle I can get it to boot before that.

No onboard graphics so can't test it with that, but no luck with anything we tried.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It looped white, yellow, red, restart
That to me sounds like quite a significant failure somewhere if it's cycling through all the lights, possibly motherboard or even CPU. I think at this stage an RMA is definitely the best idea.