Blackwidow Ultimate 2012 vs 2013?

JamesMLB

Enthusiast
Which is best? I need your guys' opinions because I am thinking of purchasing one soon : )

I personally like the blue glow on the 2012, but I don't really want fingerprints attracting to the glossy finish.

I'm sure a lot of you guys own one or the other so could you please give me your opinions on them?

Thanks,
James :D

Bsrz

Rising Star
well there both very similar keyboards, I would go with the 2013 since its the new version, thats what im going for - the real question is black widow ultimate 2013 - or black widow ultimate stealth 2013 ....

steaky360

I have the 2012 and its an excellent keyboard, although as you say the glossy finish does attract a fingerprint or two but its easy enough to wipe clean when/if it bothers you :).

I'd say if you were dead set on the blackwidow you basically pick the colour you want. Blue = 2012 and Green = 2013 :)

There are loads of other epic keyboards out there too though so you might want to shop around (not sure if you were dead set or not)

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Do both of them use cherry blue switches?

I'm dying to get a blue lit keyboard with Cherry red switches but I'm not having much luck. The only one I can find is the Gigabyte Aivia Osmium or whatever it's called and that's £100 and sold out everywhere...

steaky360

Do both of them use cherry blue switches?

I'm dying to get a blue lit keyboard with Cherry red switches but I'm not having much luck. The only one I can find is the Gigabyte Aivia Osmium or whatever it's called and that's £100 and sold out everywhere...

Yeah they do as far as I know.

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Poop. Do you find them particularly distracting while gaming? I've had a play with one in PC World and as much as it was great in a nice open warehouse type building, I can see me trying to type very carefully in the compact space of my house. It seems blue switches could be my only option if I want blue backlighting.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I had a play on a a few mech kb's recently in PC world (i was surprised too)

- the 2013 version with blue MX cherry keys, was lovely!!!! had a nice feel to it, nice sound etc etc. It wasnt powered on though, so couldnt test the backlighting.
- the corsair K90 was a bit naf, half the keys were mechanical and then others crappy spongey rubber dome keys. AND the feel of the KB wasn't a touch on my Coolermaster Storm Quickfire Tk.
- Look at coolermaster storm keyboards, well built and cheaper than razer stuff!

Bsrz

Rising Star
Poop. Do you find them particularly distracting while gaming?
if you mean is the backlighting distracting while gaming - to bright and stuff - im not sure bout the 2012 edition but on the 2013 edition, you can click a button and turn the backlighting off and then higher it up to full brightness, so theres an option to have no brightness at all..

JamesMLB

Enthusiast
Yeah you can do this on the 2012 also.. It's such a difficult choice! I like both glows, but I would probably prefer the blue but I want the 2013's brightness control + matte finish :(

the 2013 is a lot easier to order, i would have to buy a 2012 off somewhere other than the normal retailers ;)

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
No I actually meant the noise, the cherry blue keys make a click everytime you press a key and I've watched general youtube videos (not related to reviewing keyboards) where I can hear the clicks coming through the mic even though they don't want them to. I know that the other keys are generally noisier than a rubber keyboard but obviously the click makes it even louder.

And Tom, I keep looking at the CM Storm ones, I was going to go for the Quickfire TK but I decided I fancied a full keyboard more so I looked at the Trigger's and the Pro and I'm potentially going to go for a trigger. Just waiting to see if the Aivia Osmium comes back in stock soon as that would be my first choice thanks to the red switches with blue backlighting.

steaky360

Sorry for not responding to this sooner (didn't see the post)

Ah no I don't find them annoying to be honest, I really enjoy the clicking - I certainly do not get distracted whilst gaming, they are only getting noticeable if typing a fair whack out of a game (with no other outside noise). But I'm not particularly fussed about background noise etc. I just turn my speakers up if it starts to bug me :)

steaky360

I cant find them anywhere to be honest. Not even on eBay. Can only find the 2013 :(. If you know someone who sells them on eBay might be worth giving them a shout. Or maybe PCS still has one in stock??

JamesMLB

Enthusiast
possibly? That would be awesome xD

I know one person who owns many international pages and he has 2 blackwidow buy it now auctions.. :) There's over 10 on both available, the only thing is I'm not sure whether you could possibly recieve a fake..

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
It could just be left over stock which retailers don't want. It's like car showrooms, once the new model is out they don't care about the older shapes even though they're generally still very good cars.

Is there anyway you can look at feedback of his sales or reviews?

steaky360

Another thing to note is if you buy through eBay and pay through paypal you are usually protected for the cost of the item and then there are the distance selling regulations :)