Blank screen but fans run & motherboard lights on

alljam

After a few previous occasions when the screen pixellated then went black but the PC sounded like it kept running, and a restart sorted things, can't even boot it up now. The PC sounds like it's started up but no display on screen. The CD tray works and I've tested the monitor is OK by connecting it to a laptop. The motherboard green light comes on but a red light stays on, which is marked 'VGA LED' right next to the graphics card. It makes me think the graphics card has failed. Does that sound likely?
Just to note: I added extra RAM recently (2x4Gb in addition to the 2x4Gb already there), this was a few weeks before the pixellation issues. Before I added the RAM the PC would occasionally randomly freeze and shut down, which I thought may have been due to overheating judgeing by what I was seeing on the speedfan utility. I got some compressed air and cleaned out the case (had never been done before and this PC dates from November 2010 - there was a lot of dust). The RAM LED does come on briefly when pressing the startup button but goes off and stays off.

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Is this a PCS build? Can you post the full spec if it is please?

Sent using Tapatalk

alljam

It is a PCS build from Oct/Nov 2010 (order 362192). The attached photo has the full original spec, only the RAM has been upgraded since.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I removed that pic as it had a name and address on it(!).

This is the spec:
11111.png

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I don't think that has onboard graphics, does it? It definitely sounds like the GPU has given up the ghost but unfortunately the only way to diagnose that is to fit another GPU and see if it works.

That's a decent innings though :)

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Yeah, the i5 760 doesn't have integrated graphics.

A cheap GPU just to get a display would be the Geforce 710 which is £20-30. Assuming that's indeed the issue.