Blue light

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Hi guys, been a while.

Google has failed me in this instance, so I thought it best to seek some competent and knowledgeable folks to ask. Having failed at that as well, I thought of you.

:ban:

Recently, on some occasions, there has been a blue light on the back of my PC after I turn it off. It is next to some USB ports and is one of those more rectangular lights that protrude (as opposed to a simple little LED). There is a symbol next to it, but for the life of me I cannot find out what it is. However, I know that with your vastly superior know how and my expert, verging on virtuoso artistic skills, you can help.

Here is an incredibly accurate representation of the symbol created using only the most advanced design programmes.

Symbol.jpg

My concern when things happen that I cannot explain is that in the Spring the PC will be 6 years old, which is A LOT older than any PC I have ever owned. I'm not saying it should start drawing a pension, but only the graphics card has been changed since birth, so quite a bit of old stuff in there :)

Your friendly neighbourhood DED

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Is there anything plugged in to those USB ports? If you disconnect them before you switch off does the LED stay on? It may be that the USB attached device is still on after the PC has switched off, hence the blue LED?

That's my best guess (erm, I mean detailed diagnostic analysis) I'm afraid.

Rakk

The Awesome
That looks exactly like the bluetooth symbol on my phone (except for the orientation but turning my phone sideways makes it match :)), does said PC have bluetooth?

steaky360

A google reverse image search based on DED's pic also agrees with Rakk and Lez501's assessment above that it is indeed the Bluetooth logo, the rotation almost fooled google but it still got there in the end.

The blue light helps too :) would be kinda weird if the Bluetooth dongle had a red light or something.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I dunno, shouldn't we be concerned if it looks a bit like this?
Radiation-Symbol-Blue-Circle.jpg

Just messing, it's clearly Bluetooth..

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Hah! It seems that DED and myself are the only non-Bluetooth users on here.

[rollinglaugh]

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
That is SO the Bluetooth logo on its side. How the...

Hmm, and yeh steak, makes sense with the blue light and all. However, now I have to wonder why a bluetooth light is on at all. It is more confusing to me that the light doesn't ALWAYS stay on, just sometimes. Only thing that popped in my head was whether my phone is trying to talk to the PC via bluetooth even after turning said PC off... I did just get a new phone.

Time for a scientific test! (turned off phone BT to see what happens)

Also I can't tell you how proud I am that my hours of toil to create a valid representation of the symbol passed the Google Image Search test.

Only slightly disappointed it wasn't something terminal as that seemed like a cracking excuse to replace the PC with a shiny new one. My quest continues.

jerpers

Master
My old ROG motherboard had the bluetooth light always on. It had the function of being able to adjust bios settings and remotely turn on using my phone.

Rakk

The Awesome
Thanks for the link! I really don't use Bluetooth for anything at all, you just can't beat real wires. ;)

Well I only use it so my that my phone is connected to my car so it can be used handsfree (not that I actually use it much)

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
I did a project a few years ago where you could pair a phone or special dongle with a laptop. When they moved out of range the computer, if not locked would automatically lock. Quite neat when paired with a phone as _most_ people would take them with them. The dongles proved to be a bit less useful as they got stuck on a bunch of keys and left near the PC's.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I did a project a few years ago where you could pair a phone or special dongle with a laptop. When they moved out of range the computer, if not locked would automatically lock. Quite neat when paired with a phone as _most_ people would take them with them. The dongles proved to be a bit less useful as they got stuck on a bunch of keys and left near the PC's.

Never underestimate the capacity of end users to do the unexpected.... :)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
We did warn them :)

Even suggested that they stuck them to the user's passes.

Deaf ears. :)

We always used to say that the best thing to do with users was to get them to put their hands in their pockets, and then sew the pockets up!