Blue screens D:

MayheM_MakeR

Bronze Level Poster
hey all

well i received my order on Wednesday, set it up etc, everything was working fine, played battlefield bad company 2 for several hours

today was no different, started with battlefield with breaks in between, everything again was fine.
during a break where i was just surfing the internet and listening to some music my computer blue screens, and hangs at 85% at the memory dump for a while before turning off.

i power it back on and it seemed fine for an hour or so, so i decide to play some more Battlefield, after around 40mins of gameplay it blue screens again, hanging at 75 % for while before turning off.
so i to call it a night and stop playing battlefield and just surf the web, again after around 1-2 hrs it blue screens again with the same old story hanging at 75% on the memory dump.

i then again turn it on , it powers up and then hangs at the windows login for ages, therefore i decide to restart it.
once i powered it on, a command propt recommends me to use the repair tool, therefore i do , once its completed the system starts and hangs a while at the welcome screen before bringing me to the desktop.

does anyone have any ideas what this could be?, i thought it could be the graphics cards overheating but they seem perfectly fine, idling at 30c and when gaming the max load is 70c

just quite baffled D:, since everything was so fine yesterday and today was no different in terms of what i did

Case
COOLERMASTER HAF 922 MID TOWER GAMING CASE
Overclocked CPU
Overclocked Intel® Core™i5-2500k Quad Core (3.30GHz @ max 4.60GHz)
Motherboard
ASUS® P8P67 PRO: USB 3.0, SATA 6.0GB/s, CrossFireX™ / SLI SUPPORT
Memory (RAM)
4GB KINGSTON HYPER-X SPECIAL EDITION GREY - DDR3 1600MHz (2 x 2GB KIT)
Graphics Card
1GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX560Ti - 2 DVI,HDMI,VGA - DirectX® 11, 3D Vision Ready
2nd Graphics Card
1GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX560Ti - 2 DVI,HDMI,VGA - DirectX® 11, 3D Vision Ready
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Power Supply
CORSAIR 750W TX SERIES (TX750) 80+ ULTRA QUIET PSU (£89)
Processor Cooling
COOLIT ECO A.L.C (ADVANCED LIQUID COOLER) (£59)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC COOLING MX-3 HIGH THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities
ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs
USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)

my rig, also its running at the stocked 3.3 GHz it seems, judging from dxdiag

thanks in advance ;D

Last edited:

pengipete

Rising Star
Has the problem re-occured since you ran the Windows repair?

If it happens again, can you make a note of the details at the bottom of the BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) as that will point to the cause. It's the long number with "0x" and a load of numbers and letters plus the line that may say something like "Fredkrnl.sys" that we need.

It's likely that the screen will fly past too quickly for you not write it down - it will make it easier if you disable the automatic restart until we've sorted the problem. To do that, right-click on the "My Computer" icon and select "Properties". In the window that opens, select the "Advanced System Settings" from the list on the left-hand side - that will open a new window. Select the the "Advanced" tab - in there, click on the "Settings" button in the "Startup and Recovery" section then in the new window that opens, untick the "Automatically Restart" option. Use the OK or Save buttons to exit back to Windows and carry on using the PC. If if crashes again, the BSOD will stay on the screen until you press CTRL+ALT+DEL or use the reset switch on your PC.

In the meantime, until we get more info from that BSOD report, it's worth check the most common causes for this sort of random crash. You seem to have eliminated temperature so I'd go for reseating the RAM and graphics cards - remove them completely then replace them (it's not enough to try to push them and assume that they are well fitted). The reason for doing this is that they only need to be very slightly out of line in the socket for problems to arise. In the case of RAM, if the second stick is askew, you could use the PC with no problems until it needs to access that extra bit of memory and then it all goes wrong. If that doesn't help, the other main cause of instability is either drivers or overclock. We can't really begin to look at either of those until we see the BSOD report but if it is related to overclocks, PCS will be able to tell you which settings to tweak and if it's drivers, we can sort that easily enough through the forum.

The slow startup after a crash may not be directly connected to the problem. It's more likely that the delay is just down to Windows repairing any minor problems caused by the crash - files not closed correctly etc. If it boots properly the next time, that would be a good indication that Windows itself is fine.

Meds

Has the problem re-occured since you ran the Windows repair?

If it happens again, can you make a note of the details at the bottom of the BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) as that will point to the cause. It's the long number with "0x" and a load of numbers and letters plus the line that may say something like "Fredkrnl.sys" that we need.

Best advice, we need the error code to locate the fault I'm afraid! Also, have you upgraded to Service Pack 1 this week, a colleague here upgraded before Gorman had tested it in our environment - his PC was down for a fair few hours until we restored back pre SP1.

MayheM_MakeR

Bronze Level Poster
just turned it on this morning, it booted up , then turned off straight after the bios screen loaded for a second, before turning itself back on and hanging and windows loading screen for ages, restarted it again, and loaded fine.

Last edited:

MayheM_MakeR

Bronze Level Poster
technical information:

*** STOP: 0X00000124 (0X0000000000000000,0XFFFFFA8007315028, 0X00000000BE20000, 0
X0000000000005110A

thats the error report im getting while blue screening

i took i picture with my phone cause it was taking quite a while when dumping the memory

Last edited:

pengipete

Rising Star
That's a fairly generic hardware error -it means the machine was notified of an error tha it was unable to resolve automatically- so pinpointing the specific cause is difficult as the logs from that error are rarely any help.

Any i7 overclockers will recognise that stop code as it's often the result of having vcore set too low - if your PC is overclocked, you may need to tweak the settings slighlty, if it was bought pre-overclocked, you need to speak to someone from PCS before doing that.

Assuming you are using stock settings - no overclocks etc - can you try reseating the RAM and graphics cards. Remove them completely from their slots and then re-insert them - they can become a bit loose or skewed and you can't tell by looking or correct it just by pressing on them.

If that doesn't help, the best place to look next with that error is to check any devices - particularly on the PCI and PCIe slots as all sorts of conflicts have been spotted with Windows 7 - sound cards with video cards, wireless cards with everything. The root cause could be the actual hardware or the drivers.

If you've installed any hardware that's not on your PCS order, can you remove that and see if it helps. If it does, let us know what devices you had and we'll see how to get them working properly. Also, if you have any external devices connected by USB or Firewire, can you unplug them and again, see if that helps.

Assuming that the problem remains...

The most obvious detail of your PC in that respect is the dual GPUs so I'd start there. My choice would be to remove the second card and see if the PC is stable with one - if so, we'll know where to go next. If it's not stable with one, try the other card in the same slot and if that doesn't help, try the same in the second slot. If the PC still hangs with one card, can you uninstall the drivers, download them again and then reisntall - use the custom install option that lets you do a completely clean install - that will make sure that any old files are removed. Do that with a single card to start with - if that's stabilises the PC, add the other card and see if you have problems.

If none of that helps, can you post back. Also, if you've had any other hardware problems - even minor ones like crackly sound or dropping internet internet connections that only affect that PC - let us know as something that simple could point to the source of the problem. One thing that has cropped up a few times with those error and has helped is people spotting a common element - such as the crashes always happening when they are online and listening to music at the same time. It's easy to miss a connection like that so have a think.

MayheM_MakeR

Bronze Level Poster
That's a fairly generic hardware error -it means the machine was notified of an error tha it was unable to resolve automatically- so pinpointing the specific cause is difficult as the logs from that error are rarely any help.

Any i7 overclockers will recognise that stop code as it's often the result of having vcore set too low - if your PC is overclocked, you may need to tweak the settings slighlty, if it was bought pre-overclocked, you need to speak to someone from PCS before doing that.

Assuming you are using stock settings - no overclocks etc - can you try reseating the RAM and graphics cards. Remove them completely from their slots and then re-insert them - they can become a bit loose or skewed and you can't tell by looking or correct it just by pressing on them.

If that doesn't help, the best place to look next with that error is to check any devices - particularly on the PCI and PCIe slots as all sorts of conflicts have been spotted with Windows 7 - sound cards with video cards, wireless cards with everything. The root cause could be the actual hardware or the drivers.

If you've installed any hardware that's not on your PCS order, can you remove that and see if it helps. If it does, let us know what devices you had and we'll see how to get them working properly. Also, if you have any external devices connected by USB or Firewire, can you unplug them and again, see if that helps.

Assuming that the problem remains...

The most obvious detail of your PC in that respect is the dual GPUs so I'd start there. My choice would be to remove the second card and see if the PC is stable with one - if so, we'll know where to go next. If it's not stable with one, try the other card in the same slot and if that doesn't help, try the same in the second slot. If the PC still hangs with one card, can you uninstall the drivers, download them again and then reisntall - use the custom install option that lets you do a completely clean install - that will make sure that any old files are removed. Do that with a single card to start with - if that's stabilises the PC, add the other card and see if you have problems.

If none of that helps, can you post back. Also, if you've had any other hardware problems - even minor ones like crackly sound or dropping internet internet connections that only affect that PC - let us know as something that simple could point to the source of the problem. One thing that has cropped up a few times with those error and has helped is people spotting a common element - such as the crashes always happening when they are online and listening to music at the same time. It's easy to miss a connection like that so have a think.

alreet cheers for the info, ive been playing battlefield all morning till now probs 2-3 hrs without no probs, but if i bluescreen again, then ill try reseating the ram, as long as this does not void any warranty etc i am more than capable of doing this.

would i got about reseating the ram in the same slots? or could i use the other 2 slots which are available?

many thanks pete

pengipete

Rising Star
Same slots - it's just to make sure that they're not crooked or got a hair trapped between the modules and the slots. If you can't get any improvement in the same slots, you can try the other ones but there's usually no need to.

Last edited:

MayheM_MakeR

Bronze Level Poster
still getting the same blue screen, had 2 today and 1 yesterday, already reseated the ram in the same slots, GPU temps are fine, 35-30 idle, 70 on max load

CPU is at stocked 3.3ghz, temps are also fine, 42 idle, 60-70 max load

running outta things it could be, but its damn frustrating indeed D:, anymore ideas?

pengipete

Rising Star
Are you getting the same BSOD error - same reference number?

Next time it happens, can you note the number and please, this time include any detail tha comes with the error message that might point to a file or process. I've borrowed this image - you can see the info we need - basically all of the Technical section and the message at the top of the screen...

bsod_a.jpg

MayheM_MakeR

Bronze Level Poster
Are you getting the same BSOD error - same reference number?

Next time it happens, can you note the number and please, this time include any detail tha comes with the error message that might point to a file or process. I've borrowed this image - you can see the info we need - basically all of the Technical section and the message at the top of the screen...

View attachment 308

9sxjq8.jpg

2s6wtaf.jpg

2ly53me.jpg

259e9l5.jpg

thats the best i can do, since i took some images from my phone when it was taking a while to dump the memory, the technical info number is present on the pics, but it didn't have anything else on top

hope this helps

pengipete

Rising Star
As I said before, memory dumps are pretty useless with 0x124 errors - and the apps required to read them are part of a 2GB SDK package and unfortunately, I'm on a very slow, limited download broadband account so I can't justify the time or the cost (I live miles from anywhere so no way around that) . If you want to download the SDKs and print out the results, I'll take a look but I really don't think it will help.

What you have is - almost - certainly a hardware problem. I say "almost" because all previous versions of Windows have been known to throw up false 0x124 errors but - so far - I can't find any reference to this happening in Windows 7.

Didi you follow the suggestion in my previous post?

MayheM_MakeR

Bronze Level Poster
ive reset the ram, and that has not fixed the problem, the next step i guess would be the graphic cards like you suggested, these seem a little more tricky, since there several wires connected around them / to them.

Meds

If you're unsure about removing/replacing components within your PC, please call Tech Support on 0844 499 4000 when you are with your PC and they will talk you through the procedure.

MayheM_MakeR

Bronze Level Poster
just an update, i also ran a HDD test to check for bad sectors etc and everything came out fine, i did though check the bios screen again, and saw a possible problem with one of the fans , since it was red compared to the others, also with my ASUS SUITE I also monitored the same fan and it was yellow, maybe again indicating a problem?

2vaxvo4.jpg

2wod2ch.jpg

sqnr5k.jpg

pengipete

Rising Star
That fan "warning" is a feature of the board - it highights the fan if the speed drops below a certain figure. The default is 600rpm and that fan is spinning at 561rpm - hence being highlighted in red. If it was just over 600rpm, it would be yellow. You can change the value at which you'll see that warning to something better suited to your particular fans. It's explained in section 3-24 of your motherboard's manual - under "Chassis Fan Speed Low Limit"

MayheM_MakeR

Bronze Level Poster
alreet many thanks again, i haven't a blue screen once today :eek:, so lets hope it stays that way, its all rather random indeed lol