Boost / Overclocking for flight sim use

PilotGuy

Hi folks, I'd be grateful for any advice on this.

I've a PCS build laptop, spec being...

Chassis & DisplayUltraNote Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD 60Hz 45% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™ i7 Quad Core Processor i7-8550U (1.80GHz, 4.0GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)32GB Corsair 2400MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 16GB)
Graphics CardINTEL® HD GRAPHICS (CPU Dependant) - 1.7GB Max DDR4 Video RAM - DirectX® 12
1st Storage Drive2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA 2.5" SSD, (upto 560MB/sR | 540MB/sW)
USB/Thunderbolt Options1 x USB 3.0 PORT (Type C) + 1 x USB 3.0 PORT + 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS

For what I bought it for - business use, photo and data processing, writing books and scientific papers - it's brilliant. However, like much of the rest of the planet I'm in lockdown - which as part of my job is as a pilot, is a tad irritating. So I've bought online some basic flight controllers and installed a couple of simulators to at least allow me to practice basic procedural flying, checks, emergencies, etc. at home. One of the simulators [X-plane] I've installed is, not to put a fine point on it - stupidly power hungry (mainly it wants a separate GPU - which I can't give it, as the laptop doesn't have a Thunderbird port - the only real way to add an eGPU that I can see).

However, with judicious mucking about with settings, I've got it running "adequately" (which is to say everything's works, I've wound the graphic requirements of the program to minima and it's still flying me at about 2/3rds speed). It would be really nice to turn up the speed & functionality.

First question - can anybody suggest a way I can enable any form of eGPU on a laptop of this spec ?

Second question - how do I engage the turbo? Going into device settings it says my processor is 1.8GHz running at 1.99GHz. That's far short of 4.0GHz. I've been into the BIOS settings, but can't see the option anywhere.

Third question - is there anything I'm missing which I can do to tune up the graphics capability (yes I've ensured I have all the latest Intel drivers, and actually installing those did make a noticeable difference).

Needless to say, I really don't want to actually replace what is otherwise a superb (and only 5 months old) laptop - although I don't mind spending a bit of money if I need to.

Many thanks for all and any advice.

Guy

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The CPU will automatically boost to boost speeds, but that’s a very temporary boost just when a single core burst is required. It won’t run at those speeds very long.

You can't overclock a laptop, well you can but it will melt, they don’t have the cooling or the power requirements to be able to overclock. And that's not an unlocked processor anyway so even if it was in a desktop you wouldn't be able to overclock it.

It’s not having a dedicated GPU that’s the issue, that’s what’s required. You can’t run an eGPU without thunberbolt.

That chassis is nowhere near powerful enough for XPlane or any kind of gaming I’m afraid.

Last edited:

PilotGuy

Thanks Spyder, I really appreciate your taking the time to answer that.

Fortunately you're not totally correct as an alternative less graphics hungry simulator, FlightGear is running with no trouble whatsoever, but if I can't accelerate this system, well I can't. Less power hungry software is obviously the answer. Friends are recommending I also try the 2006 "Steam Edition" of Microsoft Flight Simulator X - and as copies are going for around £20 / $25 that seems worth a punt.

Last edited: