Booting an OC'd computer

duckymoo

Just a few quick questions about the behaviour of an overclocked PC

When I turn it on, it'll do one of two things:

1) start booting up, then turn off before the monitor kicks in, then start booting up again or

2) Similar to above but it turns off again during the 2nd boot, it then boots up for a 3rd time but then comes up with a message saying overclocked failed :(

So my questions, is the behaviour described in point 1 normal for an OC'd pc? and what should I do about point 2?

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Point 1 is normal on boards like mine, the P8Z68-v pro, I beluieve it is also normal behaviour on boards like yours too, its an overclock check basically.

Second behaviour is obviously not normal, I have had this with my system too, and am currently runnign non-overclocked, I would get in contact with PCS because something in the overclocking is failing.

duckymoo

thanks for the quick reply mr frenchy :)
I will indeed get in touch with PCS about point 2, bit weird how sometimes it works n sometimes it doesn't given that the settings are identical but ah well, I'm sure there's a solution!

Stappa

Enthusiast
Just a few quick questions about the behaviour of an overclocked PC

When I turn it on, it'll do one of two things:

1) start booting up, then turn off before the monitor kicks in, then start booting up again or

2) Similar to above but it turns off again during the 2nd boot, it then boots up for a 3rd time but then comes up with a message saying overclocked failed :(

So my questions, is the behaviour described in point 1 normal for an OC'd pc? and what should I do about point 2?

My O/C PCS PC lost its OC settings about a dozen times in 9 months....so I reset the Hardware/BIOS to default speeds and no problems since(and I haven't noticed ANY slow down at all...other than benchmarking software)My next PC will not be OC'd lol

Dealmaster13

Gold Level Poster
1) happens to me roughly 80% of the time and a variation of 2) happened to me around two or three times over the past few years, often linking to booting up from stand-by or another non-standard boot state.

2.4GHz Q6600 @ 3.0GHz on Gigabyte mobo jfyi

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
are these problems associated with PCS overclocks or with "user" overclocks?

The first point is not a problem, just a feature of the P8Z68 motherboards. The second point is to do with any overclock that appears to have a fault. whether user or PCS created.

MrPompey

Frenchy - So we are saying using the current PCS board for OC's e.g. P82868V that at start-up it will effectively boot twice EVERY Time at switch on before loading Windows.....just so I understand this correctly

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Frenchy - So we are saying using the current PCS board for OC's e.g. P82868V that at start-up it will effectively boot twice EVERY Time at switch on before loading Windows.....just so I understand this correctly

Not sure about the standard P8Z68-v , but the pro version yes if it is overclocked it will do its self checks, although it does not perform them every boot, sometimes it will shut itself off, other times it will simply do a self diagnostic thing, either way according to what ive read this is perfectly normal. Also to be clear, it really doesnt add much time to boot sequence.

MrPompey

OK thanks for the update. You'll see i have another post asking for people's experience on PCS OC's. before I buy the new rig with the pCS OC I want to be sure this is a good idea and wont result in me killing the CPU earlier than it would normally go on for

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
OK thanks for the update. You'll see i have another post asking for people's experience on PCS OC's. before I buy the new rig with the pCS OC I want to be sure this is a good idea and wont result in me killing the CPU earlier than it would normally go on for

Well OC always works the CPU harder so it will die sooner. Theres no doubt about it, but the overclock PCS do in my experience is stable, the problem I currently have with my pc is not due to the overclock since it happens without the overclock too.