Brand new oc gaming rig issues

Fergal

Bronze Level Poster
Yeah temp gets upto 85c, I haven't ran it on stock since I got it back, I'll give it a go in the morning and see what temp I get.

Last edited:

NMEBowen

Master Poster
definatly an issue with your cpu cooler then i can run prime on stock for 8 or so ours and not even go past 40 i think it has dislodged in transit and needs to be reseated if you happy to work on the inside of your case i would do so asap just make sure your earthed. you shouldnt need to apply new thermal paste as it should still be maliable just undo the the 4 outer screw give it a little twist and make sure its over the cpu properly then tighten it back up.

Fergal

Bronze Level Poster
Could be possible as that what they said it was. I really hope it is that, I'll speak to PCS about it tomorrow and see if there happy for me to do it as wouldn't want to void may warranty with them. What's the best way to earth myself, just touch the metal on the case?

NMEBowen

Master Poster
yer on any bear metal or touch a copper rad pip in your house, im sure they will be happy for you to do it as if you rma it, it can always happen again in transit. Those temps are way to high, thats why your getting bsod its just so you dont cook anything.

Fergal

Bronze Level Poster
When reseating the cooler and give it a twist, how small of a twist are we talking. Just push down and twist a little then back and tighten back up?

NMEBowen

Master Poster
just push down lightly twist to even out the paste and tighten.

Edit: try to guesstimate where the center of the cooler is to the center of the cpu.

Fergal

Bronze Level Poster
Cracked it!!!
Had a go at the CPU cooler as above and it did indeed turn out to be that.

I'm now running prime 95 with highest temps at 80c, I'm a happy man at the moment.

I owe PCS a apology as everything was as they said, the CPU cooler suyog came loose again in transit.

Happy days and thanks guy for all ur input & info, I'm going to buy a couple of extra fans for the case too.

Robm

Thats great news, well done..... I will be ording new Rig this week, But will not be overclocking for the time being as ( tom_gr7 ) has pointed out, its not needed for gaming at this time. and will keep cost down a little.

Its very good to read all the advice given here to ( Fergal )

Last edited:

Corfate

Author Level
Thats great news, well done..... I will be ording new Rig this week, But will not be overclocking for the time being as ( tom_gr7 ) has pointed out, its not needed for gaming at this time. and will keep cost down a little.

Its very good to read all the advice given here to ( Fergal )

For gaming, it really isn't worth it like Thomas said :p

I've seen literally no difference between stock 3.4ghz vs my oc of 4.5ghz in gaming performance :p

Fergal

Bronze Level Poster
I'm running back on stock clocks for the meantime, and now I've got a overclock should I need it one day.