Brand new Optimus laptop showing issues with gpu swappping

ahad

Silver Level Poster
Hi Everyone,

I've recently just bought a new optimus series laptop and i've been having a weird issue with the gpu. From what i can see my laptop is constantly swapping between the integrated intel hd 630 and the 1050 ti. This causes 1 second freezes sometimes randomly and also on some very specific actions such as pressing ctrl+alt+del to access task manager. Even MSi afterburner shows my gpu activating and deactivating every second (as shown in pictures).

I initially thought it could just be a windows problem so i completely formatted everything and reinstalled all drivers from scratch but the same thing started the moment i had drivers set up for both intel hd and 1050 ti. I tried all sorts of older and latest drivers to see if that would fix the problem but that also did nothing. only disabling either the hd 630 or the 1050ti solves this problem.

When playing games everything seems to run smoothly with only the 1050 ti activated but when back to windows it starts this issue again and causes constant freezing. Any help would be appreciated guys.
Thank you

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    365.6 KB · Views: 181
  • 2.png
    2.png
    397.7 KB · Views: 169

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
What OS are you running? There was a very similar GPU swapping issue with the initial public release of Windows 10 but that was fixed in the Anniversary Edition. I've not heard of this issue cropping up since then.

If you are running a version of Windows 10 later than the initial public release then I would try another completely clean reinstall but this time allow Windows Update to find all the drivers. Windows Update in Windows 10 does a much better job of finding the right drivers than Windows 7 ever did.

If you are running Windows 7 or 8.1 (or the initial public release of Windows 10) I would suggest upgrading to the latest (Fall Creator's) edition of Windows 10.

ahad

Silver Level Poster
My windows version is windows 10 build is 1511 so it's before the anniversary update. I'll update to latest and see if that helps.

and thank you for your quick response.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
My windows version is windows 10 build is 1511 so it's before the anniversary update. I'll update to latest and see if that helps.

and thank you for your quick response.

I think you'll find that's your problem... :)