Brand-new Vortex-terrible high-pitched feedback coming through speakers.

Tiger Feet

Silver Level Poster
Have just started to put programs on my brand-new Vortex III 17.3 inch laptop. I should explain, my main program that I use is Dragon NaturallySpeaking speech Recognition software as I cannot use my hands. For this I use an external microphone.

Whenever my computer plays a sound, I'm getting this awful, screeching feedback from the computer. I've tried all sorts of ways to stop it but to no avail. Did anybody else who bought this model suffer the same problem? It would be great to hear from you and if you did have this problem, how you cured it.

One thing I must say is that I just assumed that the driver CD that came with the laptop had already been installed. Do I need to install a driver or something?

Once that is cured, I would like to know how to set up the sound so that it utilises the four speakers and the sub woofer for best effect

Any advice on this would be most appreciated

Cheers

Last edited:

steaky360

I can't say if it is a driver issue but I would always recommend updating your drivers as a mate of course, although it comes with a driver cd these are not necessarily the most up to date drivers available for your laptop. It also could fix your problem.

Tiger Feet

Silver Level Poster
I can't say if it is a driver issue but I would always recommend updating your drivers as a mate of course, although it comes with a driver cd these are not necessarily the most up to date drivers available for your laptop. It also could fix your problem.

Thanks Steaky, I appreciate your input.

I have a CD that come with the laptop labelled "Device Drivers & Utilities + Users Manual."

Should I put the CD in to find the version number and name of the drivers? If not, where would I find them? I'm assuming when I find this, do I go to their website to download their latest ones?

Cheers

steaky360

You shouldn't need to use the driver CD - the best place to get the updates is directly from the manufacturer(s) :)

There is usually a fairly easy way to get the latest updates, I'm not too familiar with the laptops PCS sell but I'm sure the driver updates should be easy to find.

Re-reading your original post however a thought just popped into my head, do you still get the feedback when your microphone is not plugged into the laptop?

Tiger Feet

Silver Level Poster
You shouldn't need to use the driver CD - the best place to get the updates is directly from the manufacturer(s) :)

There is usually a fairly easy way to get the latest updates, I'm not too familiar with the laptops PCS sell but I'm sure the driver updates should be easy to find.

Re-reading your original post however a thought just popped into my head, do you still get the feedback when your microphone is not plugged into the laptop?

I haven't tried that yet. I will need the microphone though to use with the speech recognition software.

I believe if I turn the speakers off, it works okay through the headset. This is not satisfactory though. I think I've turned off the the Realtek built in mic. I will doublecheck that in a bit. I'm on my other laptop at the moment because it's fully functional.

What was in your thinking to your question then?

Cheers

steaky360

Well if it is the microphone causing the feedback (which happens sometimes if it is too close to the speakers) I'm not sure how you could fix that other than using external speakers (and moving them away from the microphone) or moving the microphone away from the laptop.

Tiger Feet

Silver Level Poster
Well if it is the microphone causing the feedback (which happens sometimes if it is too close to the speakers) I'm not sure how you could fix that other than using external speakers (and moving them away from the microphone) or moving the microphone away from the laptop.

Sorry for not coming back to you Steaky, I went to my other computer to look at the settings on the sound. The problem was that the volume levels including that of the external microphone were too high. Once I turned them all down to a satisfactory level, the feedback stopped. I didn't realise how powerful this machine is compared to my Dell.

Now that is sorted, what I would really like is for somebody who has got a Vortex to give me some hints on how to set all the speakers and the sub woofer to their optimum performances. Do I need to choose surroundsound or anything like that? I may need to start a new thread but anyone who sees this and can help, that would be most appreciated.

I've noticed that this forum is not as busy as the sales forum but I suppose posting a thread in there about this kind of advice would be frowned upon would it not? Would I get more answers in there?

Cheers

steaky360

There is only one forum bud :) everything appears as new items and people can look at it accordingly (there is also the activity stream which shows all new posts, regardless of what section they are from) - if you post stuff in the wrong place it will likely get moved by the moderators to the correct section of the forum.

I cant help you with the set-up of the speakers etc. unfortunately I don't own a Vortex laptop myself. But someone will see this and respond, but if they don't you could always either write another reply to this thread or start another one.

Tiger Feet

Silver Level Poster
There is only one forum bud :) everything appears as new items and people can look at it accordingly (there is also the activity stream which shows all new posts, regardless of what section they are from) - if you post stuff in the wrong place it will likely get moved by the moderators to the correct section of the forum.

I cant help you with the set-up of the speakers etc. unfortunately I don't own a Vortex laptop myself. But someone will see this and respond, but if they don't you could always either write another reply to this thread or start another one.

Okay, thanks matey :)