Branded Product

haroon158

Bronze Level Poster
Hey well im about to purchase a new desktop PC although im also searching for cover for the PC after my 3 year warranty has expired with PCS.
I rang up KnowHow who cover a range of electronics and asked them if they could cover a PCS pc and i said that it wasn't "branded" and he replied saying the PC has to be branded for them to know whats inside it and so that there is no awkward components they wouldn't be able to cover.
So im just wondering if PCS pcs are branded?

tom_gr7

Life Serving
pcs use a variety of different brands, i'd honesty steer clear of them, I would if I had some put money on the fact that if in three years ya 580 died then the company whoever knowhow are would find a way of not paying up.

how much did they want for the cover?

haroon158

Bronze Level Poster
pcs use a variety of different brands, i'd honesty steer clear of them, I would if I had some put money on the fact that if in three years ya 580 died then the company whoever knowhow are would find a way of not paying up.

how much did they want for the cover?

£12 monthly
edit : they also cover accidental damage so if they do find a way not to pay up i could always find a way to accidentaly damage my PC...

Rakk

The Awesome
To be honest I'm not surprised they want a branded machine, cos that's the only way they can guarantee what's in it.
I had exactly the same problem when I was trying to find accidental damage/theft cover for my PC when I was going to i44, no-one would cover either a custom or non-branded machine - luckily my machine survived the trip :).

In this case what they probably mean by 'branded' is made by Dell, Acer, Sony etc, ie. any of the big name brands.

Though as stated before, the cost of a machine similar to what you're ordering now in 3 years would maybe be 25-33% of its cost now (if you're lucky), so any additional warranty after 3 years may end up costing more than the machine is worth.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
is it from these guys?

If so I guess when they said is it branded, I guess they mean as in as major manufacturer such as acer, msi, packard bell, HP etc.

haroon158

Bronze Level Poster
hmm im beginning to change my mind. I may go for the 570 and go with high end spec wit everythign else but i would like to upgrade the GPU later on after 3 years maybe.. would PCS do that and warranty on me it again :p

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
I used to use those guys for my old pb laptop. Tbh, it wasn't really worth it, the cover I chose, you might as well have just posted on a forum. I only chose software cover. We constantly had registration issue with them and they aren't really the brightest as they took away my laptop for a keyboard replacement which wasn't even covered by what I payed for! Overall, I wouldn't use them, find someone else! Pcs will fix your computer if it gets broken, do they do extended warranties? I would have thought so.

Rakk

The Awesome
Well, you would get the standard manufacturers warranty that comes with the new card on said new card.

Corfate

Author Level
I'd stay well clear of KnowHow. My sisters laptop was covered by them, it ended up being sent back 5 times with the same problem. first time they fixed the trackpad, then something else went wrong, they fixed that, the trackpad played up again, etc etc.. Hardly the best customer service either, the people on the phone's were not very helpful either.

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
Yeah, I sent my laptop to get the keyboard replaced. Two weeks without a laptop. Got it back and the replacement hadn't worked, they had apparently replaced the keyboard but the new one had a faulty key. Had to send my laptop back to them again didn't have a laptop for 4 weeks due to their fault.

haroon158

Bronze Level Poster
I had an overheating laptop we sent it in 3 times they said they cudnt find anything wrong with it. So we got to the point of throwing it down the stairs and got everything replaced. Same thing started happening again after 1-2 years and i learnt that it was because of dust building up in system so we basically told them how to do there job and problem solved... :L

Honestly i want to be upgrading the PC's graphics card every 3 years and i have no idea about anything inside a PC, the only thing i know is how to remove and install gpu's from watching youtube videos :p

tom_gr7

Life Serving
ya can learn about hardware and components, its fun and really interesting, (if ya boring like me)