Brightness changes itself on vortex 4

Miyata

Hey.

I have vortex 4 15.6" clevo, running windows 7 with gtx 770m and i7-4700mq.

This was not happening before but then one morning when I went on laptop I noticed that brightness was adjusting itself... I went to the power options and tried setting it to what I like but it didn't let me - I could slide to max or min brightness but its 0 effect, like the slider didn't work. Sometimes brightness would jump to high, then to low, etc, by itself. I tried resetting the power plan profiles, and going through all options as well but there was nothing related to it. And sometimes it would stop adjusting itself and I could use slider. But there was no difference in what I was doing - all that time I would just browse or watch a movie.

I read online about that sensor which detects room brightness and changes laptop's brightness, so I went to services and found that Automatic brightness service, which I disabled. But it still adjusts itself.

Could it be hardware fault in any way?

Miyata

Sounds software related, try turning it on and see how it goes.

lolwut.....?

Turning what on? And I turned off every program I had running, it still didn't help. I even thought it was one of the windows 7 recent updates fault so I removed it and restarted but nothing. And I didn't not install anything a long while besides updates, so nothing I installed could cause it.

And it doesn't matter if charger is plugged in or not, it happens either way. But its on and off, like sometimes for few hours its fine, brightness is not getting adjusted and I can use slider, then all of the sudden for few hours its starts changing every now and fen for couple of hours. Like when I open different page on internet, etc. Because Room is dark and only light is from laptop screen so I guess that sensor still works somehow and changes brightness. But I have no why it started working or how to freaking kill it... Most horrible invention ever.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I don't know the Vortex but does it run the Hotkey software like my Optimus? Hotkey is provided by Clevo and it controls several aspects of the laptop, including brightness. I had a curious brightness issue with my Optimus when I got it (not as bad as yours though) and solved it by installing the latest Hotkey software from the Clevo download site. That might help?

Miyata

I don't know the Vortex but does it run the Hotkey software like my Optimus? Hotkey is provided by Clevo and it controls several aspects of the laptop, including brightness. I had a curious brightness issue with my Optimus when I got it (not as bad as yours though) and solved it by installing the latest Hotkey software from the Clevo download site. That might help?

That did not help..:/

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
That did not help..:/

Hmmm. I guess it could be a hardware problem, the only way to be sure is to do a clean reinstall of Windows. Not a pleasant prospect I grant you, but at least you'll know whether it's software or hardware then. I would suggest yo install WIndows and all the PCS supplied drivers and then test the brightness.