Broadband speed and price

Turnips

Bronze Level Poster
Get a UPS to hold the router up in the event of a power cut. Even a fairly cheap one should hold just a router up for an hour or so. My 1.5Kva UPS holds up the PC, monitor, backup external drive and the router for an hour (though I have it setup to shutdown the PC if the power is off for more than 30 mins).....
Can you paste a link to your UPS please?

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I’m guessing it would just be gloating to point out my backup broadband connection is a 4g EE SIM (which sits in my iPhone to use as a hotspot) which gives me 130/60mbps 🥳

IMG_4499.PNG

Last edited:

Bhuna50

Author Level
as it's part of a whole house (ultimate oomph) package of unlimited TV (all movie/sport channels in HD/UHD), Broadband (600/40), Landline (unlimited UK calls) & Mobile phone (unlimited data, calls, texts) @ £99/month. Although there was a 'new customer' offer of £79 that I tried to get, but just having broadband made me an existing customer :mad:

I have a similar deal - been with them since the early Blueyonder days and this year was the first year that I have not had to serve notice and wait until 3 days before cut off before getting the deal I want (an annoying process you have to go through to get the lower price usually).

This year though, I was straight through to someone and said I want to renew on your Ultimate Oomph package at £79 (I was paying £150+ a month after the last deal ran out that was £116 a month)

In addition to that I have multi room so have the V6 boxes in 3 rooms with the full package (Sky Movies/Sports etc) in all 3 rooms which makes it £94 a month for me.

Got it diaried to ensure I renew at a low price again and dont default up to the £150 again :D

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I must admit, I’ve been similarly generous to myself through lockdown, it’s important to treat yourself!
Well, I'm not spending any of my savings, it's either:
  1. the COVID WFH grant from the company I'm working for gave everyone
  2. the £xxx/week expenses I've saved from not having to travel down to London every week and stay in a B&B

slimbob

Enthusiast
I think it is kind of funny and ridiculous that someone like me has faster broadband than certain people on this thread it's a bit like my 90 year old nan burning off Nigel Mansell's Ford Fiesta in her Bugatti Veyron. :)

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I have a similar deal - been with them since the early Blueyonder days and this year was the first year that I have not had to serve notice and wait until 3 days before cut off before getting the deal I want (an annoying process you have to go through to get the lower price usually).

This year though, I was straight through to someone and said I want to renew on your Ultimate Oomph package at £79 (I was paying £150+ a month after the last deal ran out that was £116 a month)

In addition to that I have multi room so have the V6 boxes in 3 rooms with the full package (Sky Movies/Sports etc) in all 3 rooms which makes it £94 a month for me.

Got it diaried to ensure I renew at a low price again and dont default up to the £150 again :D
I worked for them when it was Telewest/NTL - in about 2007 IIRC.

But they didn't have any service in my area, so I couldn't take advantage of the very generous £10/month staff/contractor offer.

Had a Bethere/Beunlimited ADSL2 service for quite a few years (2017-2012) - until BT announced their 'fibre' product...which never materialised. The current BT offering is no faster than the BE service I was getting back then - all for £18-22 (it actually went down over the period).

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I think it is kind of funny and ridiculous that someone like me has faster broadband than certain people on this thread it's a bit like my 90 year old nan burning off Nigel Mansell's Ford Fiesta in her Bugatti Veyron. :)
My nan's bowels won't let me accelerate/corner hard in any car - unless I want to change my champagne interior to chocolate :(

Turnips

Bronze Level Poster
Ok, I admit, I'm losing in the broadband speed stakes but there are perks to living on the doorstep of a national park...

Neighbours? Half a mile down the road!

Off street parking? Acres and acres - park where you like!

Rural house prices gone up 80% this year? No drama - we're already here!

slimbob

Enthusiast
Ok, I admit, I'm losing in the broadband speed stakes but there are perks to living on the doorstep of a national park...

Must admit I would swap with you in a heart beat, sounds wonderful.

Turnips

Bronze Level Poster
Must admit I would swap with you in a heart beat, sounds wonderful.
Every day I thank my lucky stars; especially with the last 18 months being as they were.

Except in winter when there's snow drifting up to 8 foot, the sheep are all buried and the wife needs to pop out to Aldi for a pint of milk. Then I wonder why we left the village :ROFLMAO:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine

That’s my dream, want to be as remote as possible, preferably in the middle of a forest

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Every day I thank my lucky stars; especially with the last 18 months being as they were.

Except in winter when there's snow drifting up to 8 foot, the sheep are all buried and the wife needs to pop out to Aldi for a pint of milk. Then I wonder why we left the village :ROFLMAO:
Don't Amazon do grocery deliveries by drone yet?

Citrus_9

Expert
Just to make those of you dissatisfied with your 105Mbps fibre or whatever feel better, down here in the cradle of civilisation we're still using copper wire. At least in part. I'm paying €21 per month for 12.3Mbps (it's advertised as 10Mbps so I shouldn't complain) over copper.

Two years ago they started installing FTTH in the big town where I live (Agios Nikolaos). The initial phase stopped about 25m from me at the end of my road. They had a big plan for bringing FTTH to every home and business in Agios Nikolaos but it was being done in carefully planned stages. Sensibly really, so the enginners connecting up the cables in the various cabinets were not in the way of the guys with the big wheel doohicky cutting trenches in the road for the cables. And then we had COVID.

Nobody is able to tell me when the phase containing my apartment will be completed - or even started. But they're pretty sure we'll be paying €25 per month for 100Mbps FTTH. And that's not bad in my book. Until then we just cope with our 12Mbps and be grateful.
You don't need the Internet in Greece - enjoy the sun and wonderful views 😎