BSOD can only boot into safe mode

matt4

Bronze Level Poster
Hey,

I'm suffering with a hugely annoying BSOD issue. Everytime I try to boot into windows it occurs and I can only boot into safe mode.

2013-09-16 00.20.31.jpg

I cannot system restore as my PC wasn't making restore points (stupidly forgot to check). It seems a driver issue or something similar has caused this. How can I check if a driver has updated or the latest round of windows updates has caused this?

I had just closed F12012 (the game) when the first BSOD appeared.

Grateful for any assistance.

Thank you,

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
The 0xC4 Stop code is most certainly a driver problem - it's a DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION, parameter 1 (0x91) indicates a driver performed an illegal operation (stack switching).

If you know what the last driver update was that you did you could try uninstalling that in safe mode. You could also try a driver rollback in safe mode, or even (at a pinch) delete the hardware in safe mode. This should let you boot into normal Windows at least from where you can install a stable driver.

Edit: It may be that you installed a driver via Windows Update(?) in which case you can uninstall the update to remove the offending driver.

Last edited:

matt4

Bronze Level Poster
I really have no clue what driver got updated. Is there some logs I could check?

The last updates were a load of windows updates. If I can find out the changes that occured then through logs. I could roll them back.

Thank you,

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I really have no clue what driver got updated. Is there some logs I could check?

The last updates were a load of windows updates. If I can find out the changes that occured then through logs. I could roll them back.

Thank you,

Uninstall all Windows updates installed the last time you ran it. You can find them in Programs And Features by clicking View Installed Updates, the latest ones will all have the same install date.

matt4

Bronze Level Poster
It appears to be a graphics driver problem for my GTX570. I uninstalled it and it was running fine. Re-installed and loaded the driver. Bang BSOD's again. The driver hasn't been updated since Christmas from Nividia's end and I had no problems before.

Really at a loss now.

I uninstalled the windows updates to no avail too.
Anything else I could try?

Thanks,

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
In safemode uninstall graphics driver again,start computer normally ,then do a clean install of the graphics driver.
When installing driver select custom install and check the box for clean install.
Download the driver from here,
http://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-uk
Make sure you go to advanced option and choose clean install.

Last edited:

matt4

Bronze Level Poster
Did as you said vanthus. BSOD appeared again.....

Was a clean install. I really am regretting that I had no system restore now.

Thanks,

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Did as you said vanthus. BSOD appeared again.....

Was a clean install. I really am regretting that I had no system restore now.

Thanks,

At some point it's going to be more cost effective (time-wise) to do a clean re-install of Windows and drivers. Obviously you'll need to backup all your data before you do that.

You might want to try uninstalling the latest batch of Windows updates though, especially if any of them were driver updates. If it was mine though I'd be thinking about a clean re-install....

matt4

Bronze Level Poster
At some point it's going to be more cost effective (time-wise) to do a clean re-install of Windows and drivers. Obviously you'll need to backup all your data before you do that.

You might want to try uninstalling the latest batch of Windows updates though, especially if any of them were driver updates. If it was mine though I'd be thinking about a clean re-install....

Trying to avoid that!

bsod.PNG

Trying to search how this can be resolved. It seems to be a common issue.

Thanks

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Trying to avoid that!

View attachment 3892

Trying to search how this can be resolved. It seems to be a common issue.

Thanks

I can understand that you want to avoid a re-install, but the more troubleshooting you do and the more changes you make (uninstalling and installing drivers etc.) the less likely you are to end up with a stable system. It's not completely impossible that you have a hardware problem and a re-install would confirm that, after a re-install at least you'd know that you had a fully stable system. As it is, even if you do manage to resolve this in a way that lets you boot normally, what confidence will you have that your system is really stable and not hanging on by a thread? Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet.

BTW. The 0x116 stop codes are (as you suspected) video driver related.

Boozad

Prolific Poster
I cannot system restore as my PC wasn't making restore points (stupidly forgot to check).

This seems to be a common problem in Windows 7, I've seen a few people with it. I'd highly recommend following the tutorial below to add a really easy way to manually create Restore Points to the context menu. Restore points are literally two clicks away from then on, it's unbelievably handy.

Add Create Restore Point to Context Menu.

Restore Point Context Menu.jpg

As for your graphics drivers giving BSODs, have you performed a completely clean install of the drivers to see if that solves your problem?

Last edited: