BSOD Every few hours

dominicmcafee

Bronze Level Poster
I've just recently spent a lot of money on a new rig and since I've got it, I have gotten BSOD's every few hours sometimes more and some less in frequency. I have re-seated the graphics card which helped a little, for a while but it's still happening. Here is the spec, I have also posted the latest BSOD log, below.

Case
CORSAIR 5000D AIRFLOW TEMPERED GLASS GAMING CASE - WHITE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D 16 Core CPU (4.2GHz-5.7GHz/144MB w/3D V-CACHE/AM5)
Motherboard
ASUS® TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI (DDR5, PCIe 5.0) - RGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
64GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB DDR5 5600MHz (2 x 32GB) AMD
Graphics Card
24GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 4090 - HDMI, DP
1st M.2 SSD Drive
2TB SOLIDIGM P41+ GEN 4 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 4125MB/sR, 3325MB/sW)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
2TB SOLIDIGM P41+ GEN 4 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 4125MB/sR, 3325MB/sW)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
512GB SOLIDIGM P41+ GEN 4 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 3500MB/sR, 1625MB/sW)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 1200W HX SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® PLATINUM, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1.5 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead, 1.0mm Core)
Processor Cooling
CORSAIR iCUE H115i ELITE CAPELLIX XT RGB High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
ONBOARD 2.5Gbe LAN PORT
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 11 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00003]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10/11 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser
Google Chrome™

BSOD LOG
--------------------------------------------------

Source
Windows

Summary
Shut down unexpectedly

Date
‎21/‎08/‎2023 10:32

Status
Not reported

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
Code: 3b
Parameter 1: c0000005
Parameter 2: ffffaf901e92b53d
Parameter 3: ffff820afca56970
Parameter 4: 0
OS version: 10_0_22621
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1
OS Version: 10.0.22621.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID: 2057

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Can you explain about the "forumname" bit please?
It simply means to put your forum username at the end of the filename, so we know who it belongs to when we download it.

2023-08-21_11-14-59.jpg

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
My immediate guess is RAM. I can't access your logs from the work PC, and @ubuysa is far more versed in reading them than I am so would wait and see what he reckons :)

If it is the RAM that's causing issues though a check with Memtest should identify it well enough for PCS to offer an RMA on just the RAM, which would be an easy fix.

If you wanted a quick check in the meantime you could remove one of the sticks and see how it performs. If it still crashes, swap them over and see if it still happens.

dominicmcafee

Bronze Level Poster
I would also note that I'm getting strange Chrome crashes in the form of "Oh Snap....". Then I have to reload the page. Not sure if this is relevant

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
You forgot to include the system log, but even without that I'm inclined to agree with @Scott that this is most likely a RAM issue. The dumps all show failures during different operations, but there are several 0xC0000005 exceptions (invalid memory access), a stack-based buffer overrun, and a corrupted LIST entry, all pointing strongly at RAM. The application log also contains a lot of application errors (error 1000) with 0xC0000005 exception codes.

Before running Memtest86 I would remove and reseat the RAM cards, stuff does sometimes shift slightly in transit. TBH, you have so much installed RAM it would be easier (and more reliable) to just remove one stick for a few days and see whether it still BSODs. If it does, swap sticks and run on just the other stick. You'll soon see whether one stick is flaky.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Could you do a quick check when you get the chance. Click start then type "Run", hit enter. Put msinfo32 into the box then hit enter. Post up the BIOS information, a screenshot might be simplest.

dominicmcafee

Bronze Level Poster
You forgot to include the system log, but even without that I'm inclined to agree with @Scott that this is most likely a RAM issue. The dumps all show failures during different operations, but there are several 0xC0000005 exceptions (invalid memory access), a stack-based buffer overrun, and a corrupted LIST entry, all pointing strongly at RAM. The application log also contains a lot of application errors (error 1000) with 0xC0000005 exception codes.

Before running Memtest86 I would remove and reseat the RAM cards, stuff does sometimes shift slightly in transit. TBH, you have so much installed RAM it would be easier (and more reliable) to just remove one stick for a few days and see whether it still BSODs. If it does, swap sticks and run on just the other stick. You'll soon see whether one stick is flaky.
Thanks dude. I will give this a go and report back in a few days. I have heavy work for this beast so hopefully all will go ok. Thanks again for your help!

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I would contact PCS and ask about updating the BIOS, I had a little inkling this could be the issue. This is the first step I would take as it could immediately solve all errors, whereas if it is the BIOS causing the issue all other testing will point to the RAM even when it's potentially not.

I have a feeling that it's the BIOS, even if the RAM is fine the limited voltage offering of that BIOS will potentially be causing instability. I'm really surprised that PCS didn't update it for you prior to dispatch. I guess it was either missed or not deemed as important with the slower RAM selection. When did you receive the system?

With the BIOS as it is, memtest could also flag errors due to the constrained voltage being offered to the RAM.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I received it around 25th July this year
Apologies, I was looking at the wrong version number cos I'm a nugget!

That one is 16.17

The latest though is 16.36 which includes the new AGESA 1.0.0.7b which includes the voltage correction. That was released on 04/08. That's definitely wanted as a first port of call

dominicmcafee

Bronze Level Poster
I've just been speaking to PCS and they want me to do a memtest first, I think I should do the memtest first then perhaps re-seat the ram sticks?

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I'd do the re-seat first. Takes all of 1 min to do, and if it's the cause, means the memtest should pass first time. Rather than having to run memtest, have it fail, re-seat ram and then run memtest all over again.

dominicmcafee

Bronze Level Poster
So I ran the memtest last night, after re-seating the ram sticks and I think it came back completely 100% clean...

1692685635583.png