BSOD help

marvir

Enthusiast
Hey guys,

I've done all the troubleshooting I'm capable of and none have helped, basically I get BSODs when playing GW2, and so far, nothing else has triggered it, although the only other game I'm playing on my laptop is Borderlands the Pre-Sequel, and that's not caused any issues. I've tried a fix I saw online as well about expanding the nvlddmkm.sy_ or whatever, and initally it seemed to decrease the frequency, it's back to it's "normal" self now. I've done a fresh install of Windows 7 and that's not helped either. I've recently cleaned out the filters and fans of my laptop as well so I know there's no issues there. As for drivers, I've tried loads of different ones, they all end the same way.

On Fri 31/10/2014 00:59:10 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\103114-7534-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (nvlddmkm+0x91DC84)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA80120E0010, 0xFFFFF8800F932C84, 0xFFFFFFFFC000009A, 0x4)
Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys
product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 344.48
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 344.48
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 344.48 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: NVIDIA Corporation VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

These are my temps while playing:

GPU 67
CPU 65-72 between cores

I don't have an external hd/ USB stick to do a memtest sadly.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
AFAIK, guild wars does have a reputation for bsods or certainly used to on both nvidia and amd. Have you tried disabling physx?

marvir

Enthusiast
AFAIK, guild wars does have a reputation for bsods or certainly used to on both nvidia and amd. Have you tried disabling physx?

Yeah I've seen a few myself, if that's the case I'll just have to live with it. How do I disable Physx? Can I do that for GW only or is that in general?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yeah I've seen a few myself, if that's the case I'll just have to live with it. How do I disable Physx? Can I do that for GW only or is that in general?

You can do it just for guild wars. If you open nvidia control panel and "manage 3d settings", then go on the "program settings" tab. Scroll through the programs list to find Guild Wars (if it isn't listed you'll need to manually add the program file), then in the 2. box "graphics processing", select "integrated graphics".

Integrated graphics basically means off for phys-x, dedicated graphics means on. Even though Guild Wars doesn't use Phys-x it's possible this is causing a driver failure. This is usually a good thing to try if you're facing nvidia bsods in a particular game (batman: arkham city is another one that needs it turning off).

Last edited: