BSOD when watching videos

nads

Hi Guys,

I'm looking if anyone can help, I keep getting BSOD when I watch videos in chrome (youtube, Netflix etc). It doesn't happen every time but it happens quite frequently almost once a day at this point. It never happens when I'm playing games, using Photoshop or anything else, only during videos.

I get the error code: APC_INDEX_MISMATCH

I've tried reseating my graphics card and RAM already but that hasn't helped. I have full Bitdefender and I've heard that could maybe cause issues but I haven't unistalled it or anything yet. I use a USB headset which causes some audio glitches in games but I'm not sure if that could be causing issues as well.

Thank you in advance to anyone who responds!!

My specs are as follows:

Case
PCS 6003B BLACK CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i5 Six Core Processor i5-9400F (2.9GHz) 9MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® TUF Z390-PLUS GAMING: ATX, LGA1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs - RGB Ready
Memory (RAM)
8GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz (1 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2060 - HDMI, DP - VR Ready!
1st Storage Drive
1TB PCS 2.5" SSD, SATA 6 Gb (520MB/R, 470MB/W)
Memory Card Reader
USB 3.0 EXTERNAL SD/MICRO SD CARD READER
Power Supply
CORSAIR 450W CV SERIES™ CV-450 POWER SUPPLY
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
PCS FrostFlow 80 Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
BullGuard™ Internet Security - Free 90 Day License inc. Gamer Mode
Browser
Google Chrome™

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
It could well be Bitdefender, third party security tools install a lot of drivers, any of which could cause all sorts of issues. You don't need Bitdefender in any case, Windows Defender is plenty good enough and free!

There should be a kernel dump in the file C:\Windows\Memory.dmp, if there is then please upload it to the cloud with a link to it here. If that file doesn't exist then look in C:\Windows\Minidumps and if there are any dump files in there that are current (check the time and date) please upload those to the cloud with a link to the here.

Also check to see whether the Nvidia Audio Driver component is installed, if it is please use DDU to uninstall the Nvidia driver and then reinstall the latest driver (downloaded from the Nvidia website) and be sure NOT to select the Nvidia Audio Driver component. We have had others with issues where that driver conflicts with the Realtek audio driver.

nads

It could well be Bitdefender, third party security tools install a lot of drivers, any of which could cause all sorts of issues. You don't need Bitdefender in any case, Windows Defender is plenty good enough and free!

There should be a kernel dump in the file C:\Windows\Memory.dmp, if there is then please upload it to the cloud with a link to it here. If that file doesn't exist then look in C:\Windows\Minidumps and if there are any dump files in there that are current (check the time and date) please upload those to the cloud with a link to the here.

Also check to see whether the Nvidia Audio Driver component is installed, if it is please use DDU to uninstall the Nvidia driver and then reinstall the latest driver (downloaded from the Nvidia website) and be sure NOT to select the Nvidia Audio Driver component. We have had others with issues where that driver conflicts with the Realtek audio driver.
Hi I have the link to the Memory.dmp here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1G6JzSnZe7MZsVaS488UgONxOkZmQtGoo/view?usp=sharing

I'm not sure where I can check if I have the Nvidia Audio Driver? I searched those words on the PC and it came up with nothing.

Thanks!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I'm so sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you. TBH I'd forgotten all about this thread and only came across it doing a watched threads cleanup. Many apologies. 😳

This stop code is the classic IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL which is always a driver issue - or almost always anyway. The APC_INDEX_MISMATCH stop code you mentioned in your original post is also mostly caused by bad drivers. The details in the kernel dump seem to point in two directions so I'll detail each potential issue separately...

The First Issue
The stack trace of the active thread (part of the Adobe CEF Helper.exe process) shows an I/O operation in process. It starts with a call to nt!NtReadFile and progresses into a number of FLTMGR!... calls - the filter manager is mainly concerned with managing the file system on disk. The nt!NtReadFile doesn't confirm this was a read of a disk file because internally in Windows everything is seen as a file (even things like a keyboard and camera!) but on balance I think the thread was reading a file from disk. Immediately after the last FLTMGR!... call we get the bug check.

I would definitely uninstall BitDefender - it is present in this dump - because a flaky anti-malware system can cause all sorts of chaos. You can always reinstall it later if you find another cause for the BSOD. TBH I wouldn't bother, BitDefender isn't free and Windows Defender, which is really all you need, is free.

Then open a command prompt or PowerShell session and run a chkdsk /f /x command on that drive (you will have to reboot afterwards). The /f switch tells chkdsk to scan the NTFS filesystem on the drive and repair any inconsistencies it finds (the /x switch tells chkdsk to close all open file handles, that's why you'll need to reboot afterwards). Note what the output of chkdsk says, if it reports errors found and corrected then that may have been the problem.

The Second Issue
The list of driver calls for the active thread shows an error for nvlddmkm.sys which is the Nvidia graphics driver. I mentioned earlier about the Nvidia Audio driver and there are two Nvidia audio drivers loaded in your system; nvhda64v.sys, which is the Nvidia HDMI Audio Driver and nvvad64v.sys, which is the Nvidia Virtual Audio Driver. AFAIK it's the virtual audio driver module that causes the conflict with the Realtek audio driver (RTKVHD64.sys) which you do have loaded.

I would suggest you use DDU to uninstall the Nvidia driver completely (it will reboot) and then install the latest version downloaded from the Nvidia website being careful to NOT select any audio components. Your existing Nvidia driver is quite old (relatively), it's dated Sat Dec 12 02:16:51 2020, so definitely download the latest one.

See how that goes and many apologies again for forgetting you. :)

nads

Hi! Thanks for getting back to me, I'm a little confused how to use the DDU. I have it downloaded but I'm unsure what options to use in the application. I'm mostly just scared I'll break the CPU because I saw the word AMD somewhere in there 😅 Is it just the GPU that DDU effects?

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Hi! Thanks for getting back to me, I'm a little confused how to use the DDU. I have it downloaded but I'm unsure what options to use in the application. I'm mostly just scared I'll break the CPU because I saw the word AMD somewhere in there 😅 Is it just the GPU that DDU effects?
yes its purely for GPU, and there are very clear and easy to follow instructions on how to use it on the following link