Budget laptop for studies and a bit of gaming. (Really tight budget!)

Skewerhead

So I browsed through the forum and read any related articles I could find.

The first thing I saw on one of the other 'budget gaming laptops' threads was that the 'budget' amount mentioned shot through the roof of what I was planning to spend.
However, I understand that a 60 fps laptop will cost a decent amount, I can't spend that much.

I'm hoping that I can pull off playing Wow or EvE Online on minimum specs (or maybe a tad better) at a steady 30+ fps.

Now for what some might see as a joke. I'd like to try and pull this off without spending over £500.

Any good advice and/ or suggestions would be awesome and much appreciated.

Many thanks

Last edited:

Flucky

Considering the cheapest laptop starts at £490 (unless you are happy with 13.3") there's not much room for configuration.

The Genesis II will allow you to play WoW on medium settings with 30+ FPS (seen here http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-3000.37948.0.html) and if you could squeeze £509 you could put 4GB in it. The Xenon will likely only play WoW on the lower settings.

Maybe stick the £500 you have on a horse race and cross your fingers :p

Last edited:

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
If we assume you are a student, lets take your overall budget and analyse the general priorities.

Total: £700/month
Accomodation: £200/month
Food: £200/month
Alcohol: £200/moth
Luxuries: £100/month

Ok, so, what can we strip away there to up the Luxuries which can all be put into the Laptop?

Accomodation: £200/month - Not a lot of leeway here, as living on the street wont help because your laptop would run out of battery (And wireless might be an issue!)
Food: £50/month - Totally doable, dont argue!
Alcohol: £0/month - Sacrifices must be made!
Luxuries: £450/month!!!!! Stick 2 months together and youve got yourself a proper laptop!!!!!

Note: All prices were accurate at time of making them up.

DED

And see, when you finish studying, you can have all this time to impart this kind of wisdom to those that come after you...and be paid whilst doing it! :D