Build Advice.

wolfmenseyes

Bronze Level Poster
Hi everyone,

So sometime in the next 2-3 months i will be ordering a new system from PCS.

I have put this build together now because i want to show you the type of thing i will be after hopefully you folks and people at PCS can advise me here cheers :).

Case
InWIN BLACK GR-1 GAMING CASE
Overclocked CPU
Overclocked Intel® Core™i7-3770k Quad Core (3.50GHz @ max 4.60GHz)
Motherboard
ASUS® SABERTOOTH Z77: USB 3.0, SATA 6.0GB/s, THERMAL ARMOR
Memory (RAM)
32GB KINGSTON HYPERX BEAST DUAL-DDR3 2400MHz X.M.P (4 x 8GB KIT)
Graphics Card
NONE, I ALREADY HAVE A GRAPHICS CARD
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
240GB INTEL® 520 SERIES SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk
500GB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD5003AZEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 1050W PRO SERIES™ HX1050-80 PLUS® GOLD MODULAR (£159)
Processor Cooling
Corsair H40 Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler (£39)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs
USB Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 4 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Surge Protection
6 Socket Compact 2M UFO Surge Protector (£9)
Cable Tidy
JML 1.5M Zip Cable Tidy - Professional Cable Management For Your PC (£4)
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 9 to 11 working days
Quantity

Price: £1,301.00 including VAT and delivery.

So basically just picture a new motherboard and a 4770k and everything else will probably be the same i guess.

Also wanted graphics card recommendations if possible.

Cheers and thanks everyone :). I will rep anyone who helps and i hope you return it :whistling:.

steaky360

I guess you are looking for a specific supplier for graphics card hence not getting one in your system? Also, I would guess a first question would be what is your intended use, I see you've gone for a massive amount of ram and an overclocked CPU. What you got in store for that power :)?

keynes

Multiverse Poster
What is your budget? What sort of games do you play? I would suggest a full tower case if you are thinking of SLI/crossfire and the h80 or h100 CPU cooler. 32gb is a lot, I guess hacking is an expensive hobby :)

wolfmenseyes

Bronze Level Poster
What is your budget? What sort of games do you play? I would suggest a full tower case if you are thinking of SLI/crossfire and the h80 or h100 CPU cooler. 32gb is a lot, I guess hacking is an expensive hobby :)

Budget £1400.

Games.
BF3
Shogun 2
Upcoming Rome 2
Upcoming BF4
GTA 4
Upcoming GTA 5
Metro 2033
Upcoming Metro Last Light

A lot more but my main interest is RTS :).

Well i wanted a side window and i wanted to stick two gtx 770's in SLI eventually :).

I hear the H40 does just fine but hey if you are 100% sure the 80 and 100 will do a better job then im all in for it.

I dont hack by the way i should of hinted sarcasm.

I guess you are looking for a specific supplier for graphics card hence not getting one in your system? Also, I would guess a first question would be what is your intended use, I see you've gone for a massive amount of ram and an overclocked CPU. What you got in store for that power :)?

Rendering.
Editing.
Hacking. (Sarcasm).
VM Ware.

Some things like running loads of applications and running games at the same time are crucial i guess.

:).

Last edited:

ChrisByatt

Silver Level Poster
If you're waiting 2-3 months and sticking in 770s, wait for the i7 4770k chip too. Might as well..

How many VMs are you running? On 32gb ram at work we'd expect to be running 8-12 VMs at least.

wolfmenseyes

Bronze Level Poster
If you're waiting 2-3 months and sticking in 770s, wait for the i7 4770k chip too. Might as well..

How many VMs are you running? On 32gb ram at work we'd expect to be running 8-12 VMs at least.

I'm waiting for the 4770k 100% im going to clock that baby to 5GHz if possible :).

Yep im going gtx 770 SLI & 4770k :).

I'm not sure if i should go down to 8gb to start and see if i need more later i can always buy an extra kit later right ?.

Frank100

Rising Star
Hi,

RAM is quite pricey right now because of instability in south-east Asia, particularly Korea where lots of RAM is manufactured and also because of the weak pound against the dollar. I'd go with a bit less and add more in a couple of months when things should have settled a bit. We're not talking stacks of money difference but maybe about £60-80 (overall savings), which is not to be sniffed at.