Build advice

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
could be the 5900x.

went for the nzxt h511 case, b550f mobo, 32gb corsair ram, 2 1tb samsung ssds.

nothing that i would assume is out of stock, and everytime i've rang them they've said its just the gpu. never expected to be waiting this long though :D
I would strongly recommend getting advice on your build, judging by the components you just listed you haven't done already. There are a few red flags right out the gate that would compromise performance.

bungchow

Bronze Level Poster
Not according to your history? No one would have recommended those components together.

If you post your full specs from the order page we can advise better.
i never said i posted it here.

very confused by your worry, please tell me what is so inefficient in the parts i put forward so i can rectify it. for clarification the ram is 2x16 and the SSDs are for storage not boot.

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
5900x really needs minimum an X570 motherboard, the NZXT cases look great but are crap for airflow. You just mention size of the RAM but not the speed and listing 1TB SSD suggests you may not have included a M.2 OS drive which is what we recommend.

We really need to see the full build to make proper recommendations though

bungchow

Bronze Level Poster
5900x really needs minimum an X570 motherboard, the NZXT cases look great but are crap for airflow. You just mention size of the RAM but not the speed and listing 1TB SSD suggests you may not have included a M.2 OS drive which is what we recommend.

We really need to see the full build to make proper recommendations though
i have an m.2 sitting next to me waiting to grace the pc for boot.

i am aware the mobo is not perfect, hence why i asked earlier - but am happy with the decision.

as for the case thats a good point, i picked it purely on aesthetics.

as for the rest of the spec, i didn't really ask to have my build looked over, just was curious what spyder found so egregious out of the few parts i listed. i presumed it to be the mobo.

the ram is corsair v ddr4 3000mhz. 850w rmx psu.

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
i have an m.2 sitting next to me waiting to grace the pc for boot.

i am aware the mobo is not perfect, hence why i asked earlier - but am happy with the decision.

as for the case thats a good point, i picked it purely on aesthetics.

as for the rest of the spec, i didn't really ask to have my build looked over, just was curious what spyder found so egregious out of the few parts i listed. i presumed it to be the mobo.

the ram is corsair v ddr4 3000mhz. 850w rmx psu.
Like I said mate it's hard to offer advice on individual parts without seeing the entire build

No one here will recommend a 5900x and a B550 motherboard and you really shouldn't be using that set up. The B550 is really for the 5600x you may even get away with the 5800x on it but it would not be recommended. Putting a 5900x on there is a waste of a 5900x. Blowing money for no reason to get less performance and hamstring your hardware isn't a good approach

It's a glaring flaw that makes me think there will be others in the build which will cause problems in the long term and mean you're not getting value for your money or worse a build that just wont work properly

bungchow

Bronze Level Poster
Like I said mate it's hard to offer advice on individual parts without seeing the entire build

No one here will recommend a 5900x and a B550 motherboard and you really shouldn't be using that set up. The B550 is really for the 5600x you may even get away with the 5800x on it but it would not be recommended. Putting a 5900x on there is a waste of a 5900x. Blowing money for no reason to get less performance and hamstring your hardware isn't a good approach

It's a glaring flaw that makes me think there will be others in the build which will cause problems in the long term and mean you're not getting value for your money or worse a build that just wont work properly
appreciate the advice. i've not read such damning reports of the b550f paired with the 5900x, but i understand you see this as an act of incompetency and i'll do some further reading and see if I can squeeze £80 more out of my wallet for that sweet x570.

as for the rest of the build there isn't much more to list, besides the gpu afformentioned in the thread this was pulled from, unless you think an asus webcam would cause instability? :D

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I see that you're posting in the 3080 thread but you've skimped on the motherboard? I mean you can see a pattern of little things that would make us question your build so I wouldn't say our concerns are unfounded

Basically we're just trying to help but at the end of the day it's your money mate

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
The 3000Mhz RAM is limiting also.

Just having a brief read through and I'm unsure of the reluctance to share your entire build. I understand that you may think there isn't much more to list, but given the train of thought on the motherboard & RAM it's often better to seek advice on the whole.

If you're not looking for advice then that's fair enough. It's not about criticism or judging, it's about value for money and helping.

My guess is that your budget has mostly been aimed at the big ticket CPU/GPU combination without properly considering the other aspects (Motherboard/RAM/Monitor).

If you're happy, I'm happy though. I just wouldn't want you to feel that the advice wasn't offered, constructive or wise.

bungchow

Bronze Level Poster
i wish i had the money to get all the trimmings, but yes as scott said the main attraction was getting the GPU and CPU at the price offered in December. the mobo can be upgraded when I'm more financially able, the loss in performance in the mean time is not something I will lose sleep over.

again i've said this twice now but i had advice on this build prior to ordering it. i was aware then of the mobo discrepency and am aware now. which is why i immediately said "mobo?" to spyders original post.

as for the ram, the limitation of 3000 over 3200 is neglible to me, fortunately.

for the monitor, it will be what im using now (benq 240hz 1080p), i didn't order a new one or anything else past what i've listed really, I have all the peripherals I need from my previous build.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
i wish i had the money to get all the trimmings, but yes as scott said the main attraction was getting the GPU and CPU at the price offered in December. the mobo can be upgraded when I'm more financially able, the loss in performance in the mean time is not something I will lose sleep over.
And kiss goodbye to your warranty

Warranty​

7.1In addition to any warranty that you may have purchased with your Goods, all Goods that we supply are warranted free from defects for 12 months from the date of supply. This warranty does not affect your statutory rights as a consumer.
7.2Subject to clause 7.3, goods found by us to be defective during the warranty period will be repaired or replaced with an item of an equal or better performance and equal or better value at the time a return material authorisation (“RMA”) is generated. All Products being returned under warranty must have been issued with a valid RMA number. Any goods received by us without a valid RMA number will be rejected and returned to sender.
7.3If you order a dedicated graphics card and the AIB (add-in-board) manufacturer name is not specified in the product description or on the final invoice, then you will receive a graphics card that meets the specification of the model/version stated. If the graphics card is exchanged under the warranty, then we will supply a graphics card that meets or exceeds the specification of the model/version stated. This model may be from a different AIB manufacturer and as a result the actual performance may be slightly higher or lower than the original model.
7.4This warranty does not apply to any defect in the goods arising from fair wear and tear, wilful damage, accident, negligence by you or any third party (e.g. not using a surge protector), use otherwise than as recommended by us or the manufacturer (e.g. in an unventilated / hot or dusty environment), failure to follow the manufacturer's instructions, or any alteration or repair carried out without the manufacturer's approval.
7.5Unless otherwise stated, all LCD/LED panels should be considered as class 2, which comply with ISO ISO-9241-302, 303, 305, 307:2008 pixel defects. Dead pixels on LCD/LED panels are covered under the manufacturers' warranty terms and conditions. We do not guarantee that you will receive a replacement screen should your screen develop one or more dead pixels.
7.6We cannot be held responsible for loss of data, or need to remind you about backing up your data. Your data is your responsibility and you should take all necessary precautions to reinstate if a loss occurs. It is possible that hard drives and/or solid state drives may be formatted or replaced when returned under warranty regardless of any correspondence stating otherwise.
7.7Laptop Batteries come with a maximum 6 month warranty, regardless of which warranty option is purchased.
7.8Unlike with most computer companies, we allow you to open your case and install your own components without voiding your warranty on the following conditions:

• If the actions of the person installing the components cause damage to the computer, your warranty will be void;
  • If you install components that are not purchased from us and they cause problems with your computer, your warranty will be void;
  • If you install components that are not purchased from us we will in no way support you in installing them or with any problems you have relating to the components you have installed.
  • We will support you in installing components purchased from us providing you have purchased them through the upgrade service available on your online account.
7.9We reserve the right to suspend the warranty or refuse service if your Case, Motherboard, CPU or BIOS have been replaced without authorisation.
Any tampering, repair or modification by unauthorised personnel voids the warranty.
7.10Should you take any goods purchased from us to a 3rd party and have them attempt to diagnose or repair a fault on the computer, you may VOID all warranties on the order and we will not cover the costs of any onsite or call out charges as we do not provide or charge you for onsite warranties. If you have any problems with your order you must contact us for advice and if necessary obtain an RMA number and return the item to us through the specified returns procedure.
7.11In the event of any failure of software or hardware, we will not be held liable to replace, re-install or compensate for any software that is lost, damaged or corrupted. This exclusively applies to software provided free of charge by us or any third party software that was installed by you.
7.12Dead Pixel Guarantee - If you order a dead pixel guarantee and you report a dead pixel within the specified time period on the dead pixel guarantee, we will collect the laptop from your premises and replace the screen with a defect free model of equal or better specification. Collection and re-delivery is included along with all labour fees, and the service can be used an unlimited number of times during the guarantee period.

The dead pixel guarantee commences on the day you receive your order and any dead pixels must be reported within the guarantee time period in order to qualify for replacement. Screens that are cracked, damaged or broken are not covered under the dead pixel guarantee regardless of how many pixels are not functioning. This guarantee does not cover external monitors purchased, only the notebook screen itself is covered.

Unfortunately we cannot arrange collections from the Channel Islands, Norway, Iceland or Switzerland, however we can reimburse up to £35 towards your shipping costs.
7.13If a product is repaired outside of the warranty period specified on your order, unless otherwise specified the warranty provided on any replacement parts is capped at a maximum of three months.

bungchow

Bronze Level Poster
You can get 240 FPS consistently with a 3060 and a 5600x at 1080p?

Hell a 2060 would probably do that comfortably too, I'm baffled
not enough to sate me brother. i also play other games but my eyesight has never made me want to jump to 2k. i enjoy the frame boost of 1080 :D

bungchow

Bronze Level Poster
And kiss goodbye to your warranty

Warranty​

7.1In addition to any warranty that you may have purchased with your Goods, all Goods that we supply are warranted free from defects for 12 months from the date of supply. This warranty does not affect your statutory rights as a consumer.
7.2Subject to clause 7.3, goods found by us to be defective during the warranty period will be repaired or replaced with an item of an equal or better performance and equal or better value at the time a return material authorisation (“RMA”) is generated. All Products being returned under warranty must have been issued with a valid RMA number. Any goods received by us without a valid RMA number will be rejected and returned to sender.
7.3If you order a dedicated graphics card and the AIB (add-in-board) manufacturer name is not specified in the product description or on the final invoice, then you will receive a graphics card that meets the specification of the model/version stated. If the graphics card is exchanged under the warranty, then we will supply a graphics card that meets or exceeds the specification of the model/version stated. This model may be from a different AIB manufacturer and as a result the actual performance may be slightly higher or lower than the original model.
7.4This warranty does not apply to any defect in the goods arising from fair wear and tear, wilful damage, accident, negligence by you or any third party (e.g. not using a surge protector), use otherwise than as recommended by us or the manufacturer (e.g. in an unventilated / hot or dusty environment), failure to follow the manufacturer's instructions, or any alteration or repair carried out without the manufacturer's approval.
7.5Unless otherwise stated, all LCD/LED panels should be considered as class 2, which comply with ISO ISO-9241-302, 303, 305, 307:2008 pixel defects. Dead pixels on LCD/LED panels are covered under the manufacturers' warranty terms and conditions. We do not guarantee that you will receive a replacement screen should your screen develop one or more dead pixels.
7.6We cannot be held responsible for loss of data, or need to remind you about backing up your data. Your data is your responsibility and you should take all necessary precautions to reinstate if a loss occurs. It is possible that hard drives and/or solid state drives may be formatted or replaced when returned under warranty regardless of any correspondence stating otherwise.
7.7Laptop Batteries come with a maximum 6 month warranty, regardless of which warranty option is purchased.
7.8Unlike with most computer companies, we allow you to open your case and install your own components without voiding your warranty on the following conditions:

• If the actions of the person installing the components cause damage to the computer, your warranty will be void;
  • If you install components that are not purchased from us and they cause problems with your computer, your warranty will be void;
  • If you install components that are not purchased from us we will in no way support you in installing them or with any problems you have relating to the components you have installed.
  • We will support you in installing components purchased from us providing you have purchased them through the upgrade service available on your online account.
7.9We reserve the right to suspend the warranty or refuse service if your Case, Motherboard, CPU or BIOS have been replaced without authorisation.
Any tampering, repair or modification by unauthorised personnel voids the warranty.
7.10Should you take any goods purchased from us to a 3rd party and have them attempt to diagnose or repair a fault on the computer, you may VOID all warranties on the order and we will not cover the costs of any onsite or call out charges as we do not provide or charge you for onsite warranties. If you have any problems with your order you must contact us for advice and if necessary obtain an RMA number and return the item to us through the specified returns procedure.
7.11In the event of any failure of software or hardware, we will not be held liable to replace, re-install or compensate for any software that is lost, damaged or corrupted. This exclusively applies to software provided free of charge by us or any third party software that was installed by you.
7.12Dead Pixel Guarantee - If you order a dead pixel guarantee and you report a dead pixel within the specified time period on the dead pixel guarantee, we will collect the laptop from your premises and replace the screen with a defect free model of equal or better specification. Collection and re-delivery is included along with all labour fees, and the service can be used an unlimited number of times during the guarantee period.

The dead pixel guarantee commences on the day you receive your order and any dead pixels must be reported within the guarantee time period in order to qualify for replacement. Screens that are cracked, damaged or broken are not covered under the dead pixel guarantee regardless of how many pixels are not functioning. This guarantee does not cover external monitors purchased, only the notebook screen itself is covered.

Unfortunately we cannot arrange collections from the Channel Islands, Norway, Iceland or Switzerland, however we can reimburse up to £35 towards your shipping costs.
7.13If a product is repaired outside of the warranty period specified on your order, unless otherwise specified the warranty provided on any replacement parts is capped at a maximum of three months.
yeah ive read the T&Cs. i ordered here again because it was cheaper than buying parts individually.