Building new PC for games and 3D work

chewon

Hello hello!

So i am in the process of looking/building a new PC from scratch, for work ( i work with 3D sortware such as CATIA (Engineering/production CAD), Keyshot (renderings) Adobe CS in the likes of Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign etc) and i play some games online (Warframe among other mmo...)

I am new to building custom PC but i absolutely hate slow computer so i tent to get the most powerful parts without knowing if they works out better or not...

So any pointers/advice are most welcome!

The following made up of what i am looking at...

Case
CORSAIR CARBIDE SERIES™ AIR 540 GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX 32 Core CPU (3.0GHz-4.2GHz, 80MB CACHE)
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG ZENITH EXTREME ALPHA (DDR4, WIFI, CrossFireX/SLI) - RGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
128GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2933MHz ~ (8 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2080 - HDMI, 3x DP GeForce - RTX VR Ready!
1st Storage Drive
2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA 2.5" SSD, (upto 560MB/sR | 540MB/sW)
2nd Storage Drive
2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA 2.5" SSD, (upto 560MB/sR | 540MB/sW)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB INTEL® 760p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (upto 3230MB/sR | 1625MB/sW)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Power Supply
CORSAIR 1000W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 Ultra Quiet Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
Creative Sound Blaster® Audigy Rx
Wireless/Wired Networking
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS

Am i over killing it? Just a reminder this is for work as well as able to handle games without needing to wait ages for loading level, or launching photoshop.....

Cheers!

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
That's very possibly overkill.

Not many people need / get any benefit from 128gb RAM. Why do you think you might? (I don't mean that in a negative way, just trying to understand the thought process).

For the SSDs, why multiple SSDs? What is your plan for using the storage?

chewon

Regarding the RAM as most of the time i will have multiple software running at the same time, editing at the same time back and forth, and they are all relatively RAM hungry, hence i thought i might as well load it up so even with a year or two down the road, when software requirement goes up, i will still be equip for that... (A typical case would be i will have something rendering in the background, CAD software on for editing 3D surfaces, illustrator for graphical elements, and touching up something in photoshop, then pulling them into InDesign for the presentation...)

As for the SSD, just a personal preference as i do mostly freelance work, and needing backup, re-instate files, project on hold, then live again after couple of month, hence my practice is archiving things whenever and pull them out of cold storage when the project go live again..... Also i usually have at least one dedicated drive for backing up data...

Mustafo95

Silver Level Poster
If you're gonna go all out might as well get RTX 2080 TI and 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus for M.2 main drive no?
Get the better thermal paste too, it's only £10 extra but hey, every little bit helps.
Memory choice makes sense.
As to the CPU, i've no idea what to say. What even happens, if you're truly multitasking savant and manage to utilize all 32 cores at the same time? Does it open up a tear in the fabric of space time. By all means go nuts but be careful