Burned graphic card? not show display (SOUND)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dany27

Hi. All what I did is just plug power cable in to DVD ROM, when PC already been running, and I got little spark and smell, but I shutdown it immediately. So, something is burn.

Result is no display picture and graphic card ventilator speed (sound) change every around 2 seconds. No beep at start.

I try removed RAM out, but it same. I think it is graphic card burned.
Also I removed power from vent on card, the sound is normsl, but still no picture.
Can be something else with that, like motherboard or power supply, how to know?

I have original Gigabyte Geforce gts 450.
For check graphic card, I not see something special, but on continuity test with multimeter, some capacitors not have continuity.

This is video of sound.

DeletedUser

We can't offer much advice unless it's a PCS system. However, given the issue was when you were plugging something into the motherboard, then I'd guess the motherboard has been damaged which may have subsequently damaged the GPU etc. You really need to take it to a PC repair shop so they can ibvestigate

Rakk

The Awesome
To be honest a spark and a funny burning smell means something is not going to work anymore.

But you should NEVER connect anything something directly to the mobo whilst it is turned on, and this includes adding power cables to anything connected to said motherboard (cos whilst it wasn't powered it basically wasn't connected as far as the motherboard was concerned)

If your CPU has integrated graphics you could try disconnecting the GPU and see if anything shows on the display, if not then you'd have to try another GPU to see if it was the GPU.
But yeah it could be the GPU (which is getting on a bit now anyways - maybe about 12 years old give or take) or it could be something is burned on the mobo.
Edit. I'd probably suspect the mobo to be honest but that is a wild guess

Last edited:

dany27

To be honest a spark and a funny burning smell means something is not going to work anymore.
Don't must be. I had same thing on Arduino Mega, it was spark and smell, but still working normally..
But you should NEVER connect anything something directly to the mobo whilst it is turned on, and this includes adding power cables to anything connected
Yeah. Not sure, but think that I did similarly before, and nothing was happened. That was stupid from me. I will never try that again.

I found Gainward GTS250 graphics card. It is too big and I barely managed to insert in slot.

Not sure it's working, but think it must.
It has 2x 6-pin connector for power, that must be connected both? From any free cable from power supply?
I did, and still no picture.

Also, I know that I'm not allowed connect card without fan, but I did shortly.. Tell me why this white jack is different from other on card? Where must connect fan?
I have under on mobo SYS Fan jack, it is 4-pin, but different outside shape.
I want turn fun to see do I have sound like on my last card.

Attachments

• 20220528_195624.jpg
    20220528_195624.jpg
    980.6 KB · Views: 72
  • 20220528_195906.jpg
    20220528_195906.jpg
    548 KB · Views: 75
  • Screenshot_20220528-195459_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220528-195459_Gallery.jpg
    682.7 KB · Views: 77
Status
Not open for further replies.