Business grade video card?

abssorb

I need to replace a video card in one of the desktops we ordered a while ago from PCS. The subject is naturally dominated by the gaming community so it's very hard to research.

Need: 2x monitor ports. Min QHD.
Need: Reliability
Need: Durability
Need: Solid Linux drivers as well as Windows
Want: Low power draw would be nice.
Want: Minimum bloat / advertising in the windows driver.

I guess whatever Dell, Lenovo, HP etc put in their business models is the sort of thing I'm after.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Well if you're after a business grade card, then nVidia Quadro are rated as such.

Although I don't have the specs of the specific cards, they do do a range of RTX-based Quadro's (but expect to pay!). And they do appear to support most of them with Linux drivers - worth noting that nVidia only supply closed-source drivers for Linux.

Also from what little I know of Quadro cards, they have 4 x DP connectors.

Specs can be found here: https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/design-visualization/quadro-desktop-gpus/

abssorb

Many thanks, though they all seem to be for workstations, which is a high power draw.

This is very difficult to research, as all anyone who writes about this stuff has a passion for nothing other than processing power.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Many thanks, though they all seem to be for workstations, which is a high power draw.

This is very difficult to research, as all anyone who writes about this stuff has a passion for nothing other than processing power.
Are you simply looking for video output rather than GPU hardware acceleration?

What's the use case for this card?

Tony1044

Prolific Poster

You want a powerful card with low power? Think you'll find those two things are mutually exclusive.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
You want a powerful card with low power? Think you'll find those two things are mutually exclusive.
I think the OP is getting confused with a normal video output GPU and a GPU used for hardware acceleration.

If it’s just simple display output for 1440p or even 4k, then the GT1030 would be ample.

It’s powered by the PCIe bus so doesn’t need a separate power draw from the PSU, has HDMI and DVI:

Zotac NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0711NWFJX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_AXE-EbF1AXT2P

Last edited:

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
@abssorb - Is the use case just to add additional screens?

Perhaps if you could post your spec as delivered, and what it is you want to use it for, we can offer some more detailed advice