Buying this for WoW - what settings can i expect to play on?

martyn47

Hey there! Just registered onto these forums, as im about to buy a desktop here.
I thought id ask people that have (a lot) more knowledge than me about what settings this machine will be able to play WoW on?
I have always had to play on literally the lowest settings, and im hoping this will play them on good settings, obviously playing on ultra would be amazing! here are some of the specs:

-Intel Core i5-2500 quad core 3.3 GHz 6mb cache + HD graphics
-8GB Samsung Dual DDR3 1333MHz (2x4GB)
-1BG AMD RadeonHD 6850 Eyefinity 3 Capable graphics card
-80GB SSD Harddrive
-Super quiet 22dBA Tripple Copper Heatpipe Interl CPU Cooler

If anyone can offer any tips or what i can expect, i would greatly appreciate it!

oistead

Bronze Level Poster
Im not entirely sure, but can't see why you wouldn't beable to play on high settings, if not ultra. :turned:

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Games like WoW don't require much in the way of GPU power when you look at the beside games like BF3, so a 6850 should be ample. In very busy areas it's more down to the CPU, so a good strong CPU like the i5 2500 will benefit you on that front.

Overall you should be able to crank up the settings to very near max if not quite.

Karnor00

Bright Spark
The only thing that might be a concern is the size of the SSD. Assuming you are going to put the OS (20-30GB) and WoW (c.30GB) on the SSD drive, its getting fairly tight already. Factor into the fact that WoW generally wants 10GB of free space and that there is another expansion coming up soonish (say another 10GB) and you may find yourself running out of space.

So you might want to consider a 128GB SSD if you can afford it. Of course if you are happy to put WoW on the main HDD then there should be no problem at all - doing so should only affect load times and not actual in-game speed.

martyn47

the size of the DDS was a slight concern, but i think it will be alright. if not then i can change later.

im more interested to get peoples opinion on what graphics settings this machine will get, and possibly fps etc!

martyn47

Please check my finished spec!

Using to play mainly World of Warcraft. Some Total War games, perhaps Mafia. If this will play those sorts of games, which i hope they will! Please critique this! ^^

Case
STYLISH PIANO BLACK ENIGMA MICRO-ATX CASE + 2 FRONT USB
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i5-2500 Quad Core (3.30GHz, 6MB Cache) + HD Graphics
Motherboard
ASUS® P8H61-M LE/USB3 (NEW REV 3.0): M-ATX, USB 3.0, SATA 3.0Gb/s
Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 4GB)
Graphics Card
1GB AMD RADEON™ HD6850 - 2 DVI,HDMI, DP - DX® 11, Eyefinity 3 Capable
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
120GB INTEL® 320 SERIES SSD, SATA 3 Gb/s (upto 270MB/sR | 130MB/sW)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Power Supply
450W Quiet 80 PLUS Dual Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan (£29)
Processor Cooling
INTEL SOCKET LGA1155 STANDARD CPU COOLER
Sound Card
ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs
USB Options
4 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Office Software
FREE Microsoft® Office Starter 2010 (Limited functionality Word & Excel)
Anti-Virus
BULLGUARD INTERNET SECURITY - FREE 90 DAY TRIAL
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 10 to 12 working days
Quantity

Price: £715.00 including VAT and delivery.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
It will play those games no problems, and at pretty high settings i should think. As noted already the SSD is a little on the small side, do you have another HDD your planing to add yourslef? If not then you really need to think about getting another hard drive, or atleast getting the 120GB SSD for only £25 more. Otherwise you risk having no room at all after you install the OS and a game or two.

martyn47

Yes i have boosted the SSD from 80GB to 120GB, this was the only thing that was really bothering me, but hopefully other than thatm it will be a pretty good machine! ^^

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
A 120 gig drive is still fairly small in todays terms, it will hold a few games along with your OS and a small collection of apps and any data you want to throw on it. Much more and it will be full, it's not really a big deal though, fitting a 2nd drive or an external one can store any photos or videos you might want.

Now you just need to commit and order it :) you will be glad you did!

NMEBowen

Master Poster
bear in mind the size of the wow installation it used to be massive when i played it not sure if your better off just getting a 1tb+ cavier black.

NMEBowen

Master Poster
yer as i said huge and with your other games your going to fill a ssd alone in no time maybe just get a cavier black and put the extra coin into a even better GPU?

TheKeir

Bright Spark
Just a word to add:

You only need a 6850 graphics card (that can be combined with ANY cpu) to play WoW on ultra settings at 60 fps in any area - it doesn't matter how crowded it is, i.e the framerate won't change in Org/SW or anything. It'll also cover dungeons etc, and 10mans, all in 60fps, however in a 25 raid you'll find yourself dropping to about 25 fps.

Just thought I'd throw that information out there :)

And @UndeadJack: 50gb? My WoW folder is total 18gb :p

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
Your spec does look fine but I would strongly recommend upgrading the case to a cooler master elite for much better cooling. Also, do you really need an SSD? Although I do love them, they are a luxury and you may want to go for more space first, unless you already have another HDD. However, if you have decided to stick with the SSD, have you considered the kingston hyperx for £20 more, it will be much faster.

Last edited: