Can anyone help?

Andykg10

Bronze Level Poster
Hi guys,

My PC is coming up to 3 years old next June and i want to upgrade my graphics before then ideally.

Ive looked at the new 1000 series of cards, but its saying my Motherboard and/or case are incompatiable, so it looks like i''ll need to change either one of those as well.

In all honesty, i kinda screwed up in selecting my motherboard as im not that knowlegeable when it comes to picking parts.

So, basically what i need to know if what Motherboard would should i change to to incorporate the newest graphics cards?

I really need one that is not gonna be restrictive in the future, but also good enough for the coming years in terms of quality.

Please can anyone help. I really dont want to change me case lol

Thanks

Case COOLERMASTER COSMOS SE GAMING TOWER (Windowed)
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Six Core Processor i7-4930K (3.4GHz) 12MB Cache
Motherboard ASUS® RAMPAGE IV BLACK EDITION: INTEL X79, SOCKET 2011, R.O.G
Memory (RAM) 16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X BEAST DUAL-DDR3 2133MHz X.M.P (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card 3GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 780 Ti - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
Graphics Card 3GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 780 Ti - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
1st Hard Disk 240GB KINGSTON HYPERX 3K SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 555MB/sR | 510MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk 2TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD2003FZEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Power Supply CORSAIR 1200W PRO SERIES™ PLATINUM AX1200i DIGITAL MODULAR PSU
Processor Cooling CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO (120mm) Fan CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs
USB Options MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Power Cable 1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Operating System Genuine Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit w/SP1 - inc DVD & Licence

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I don't see how your motherboard wouldn't be compatible tbh. Older ones than that would be. There are some people here talking about the Rampage IV extreme, and though there were some teething problems early after the things were first released, they got it working:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?85453-GTX-1080-driver-issue

I wonder if it's referring to this:
VGA card length:
with HDD bracket: 276mm / 10.9 inch
without HDD bracket: 395mm / 15.5 inch
http://www.coolermaster.com/case/full-tower-cosmos-series/cosmos-se/
I've heard some people say PCS have occasionally used Zotac Amps on their GTX 1080 builds, and those are fairly long cards (300mm) .https://www.zotac.com/us/product/graphics_card/zotac-geforce-gtx-1080-amp-edition#spec So perhaps the configurator is assuming you have the HDD cage in place and that they can't guarantee you will get one of the ~266mm cards.

Last edited:

Andykg10

Bronze Level Poster
I don't see how your motherboard wouldn't be compatible tbh. Older ones than that would be. There are some people here talking about the Rampage IV extreme, and though there were some teething problems early after the things were first released, they got it working:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?85453-GTX-1080-driver-issue

I wonder if it's referring to this:
I've heard some people say PCS have occasionally used Zotac Amps on their GTX 1080 builds, and those are fairly long cards (300mm) .https://www.zotac.com/us/product/graphics_card/zotac-geforce-gtx-1080-amp-edition#spec So perhaps the configurator is assuming you have the HDD cage in place and that they can't guarantee you will get one of the ~266mm cards.

This is what it said??

Checking your specification... [Your specification failed our initial checks.]

We've checked your specification for compatibility. Please see our suggestions below:

Due to the built in fan controller on this case and the front panel that comes with the Black Edition motherboard it is not possible to connect both together, please change your case or motherboard.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Umm.. it seems to be saying that your case and motherboard are incompatible with each other. Which I assume they're not since you've been using them together for the last 2 years?

If that's all it's saying, then it's not saying anything about a new GPU being incompatible. :)

My PC is coming up to 3 years old next June and i want to upgrade my graphics before then ideally.
Next June is a long way away. AMD will be releasing their high end GPUs sometime in the first half of 2017 (early 2017 has been expected for some time). So you could wait and see what the new year brings. Also Nvidia are expected to be releasing Volta, their new GPUs sometime in 2017. If your 780 ti pair are still serving you ok and you're not in a rush to upgrade, you could hold fire and wait and see.

Last edited:

Andykg10

Bronze Level Poster
Umm.. it seems to be saying that your case and motherboard are incompatible with each other. Which I assume they're not since you've been using them together for the last 2 years?

If that's all it's saying, then it's not saying anything about a new GPU being incompatible. :)

Next June is a long way away. AMD will be releasing their high end GPUs sometime in the first half of 2017 (early 2017 has been expected for some time). So you could wait and see what the new year brings. Also Nvidia are expected to be releasing Volta, their new GPUs sometime in 2017. If your 780 ti pair are still serving you ok and you're not in a rush to upgrade, you could hold fire and wait and see.

Ok, thats weird, yeah never had any problems with the two components.

The only reason im saying June is because my 3 year platinum warrenty runs out in June, so i was going to just get it upgraded before hand.

The 780ti pair are fine at the moment, just. Cant Ultra 60fps now like i could, but i can still run new games on high.

Cheers for the advice mate.