Can I add a second M2 drive?

[email protected]

Hi I have a ASUS® ROG STRIX Z270E GAMING motherboard and I am trying to decipher wether or not I can add a second Nvme drive. Online stuff suggests I might but cannot see a second slot on motherboard pics? Can anyone give me a definitive answer ? Many thanks

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
You can indeed.

Intel® Z270 Chipset :
1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (PCIE mode only)*2
1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices support (both SATA & PCIE mode)*3

NB:
*2 The M.2_1 socket shares SATA_1 port when use M.2 SATA mode device. Adjust BIOS settings to use a SATA device.
*3 The M.2_2 socket shares SATA_56 ports when use M.2 PCIE mode device in X4 mode. Adjust BIOS settings to use SATA devices.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Sure.

Assuming it's going in M.2_2, make sure you're not using Sata 5 or 6 already.

And make sure the M.2 slot is set to PCIe rather than Sata mode in the BIOS ofc.

[email protected]

Sure.

Assuming it's going in M.2_2, make sure you're not using Sata 5 or 6 already.

And make sure the M.2 slot is set to PCIe rather than Sata mode in the BIOS ofc.

Ok I will need to explore the Bios - I can now spot the second connectors on the motherboard. Not sure what you meant by making sure I am not using SATA 5 or 6 already - do you mean exisitn grives? I have an M2Nvme plus 2 HDD installed.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
It's explained in the manual and also outlined in the notes I posted above.

The M.2 slots share bandwidth with some of the Sata slots depending how they are configured. So as above:

The M.2_2 socket shares SATA_56 ports when use M.2 PCIE mode device in X4 mode

So if you use an SSD in M.2_2 in PCIe mode, you can't use Sata_5 or Sata_6.

As for which ports are Sata 5 and 6, the manual will show you. You can visually inspect which ports your HDDs are plugged into.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Worst case scenario would be you just plug the Sata drives into different ports

It's not a problem, just something to be aware of so you don't turn the PC on with your shiny new SSD and wonder why the HDDs don't show up in Windows or something :)

[email protected]

Worst case scenario would be you just plug the Sata drives into different ports

It's not a problem, just something to be aware of so you don't turn the PC on with your shiny new SSD and wonder why the HDDs don't show up in Windows or something :)
Got it thanks - you have confirmed my latest thoughts. having downloaded and read the manual.