Can I clone copy an M2 SSD to a Sata disk

Unwina

Silver Level Poster
I'm trying to build a PC on PCS and usually use macrium weekly windows disk clones from SSD to disk on my current win 7 system and would like to do similar with a new windows PC.

I wonder does anyone know if there are differences in disk layouts of M2 SSD and sata SSD that would cause issues with a clone copy. At present I can use macrium to clone an SS evo 850 500gb system drive to an old WDC 700GB sata disk and in the Bios I test the clone every so often to make sure it works by booting from it if I needed to.

So I am planning to use a very fast SSD on the M2 with a slower Sata disk for the clone. Are these disk setups inherently the same apart from the speeds one can get on the M2 relative that of the Sata6 bus disks.

I have never had to use the clones in the past but as I say have always checked the clones and every so often boot to them for a day or so to make sure there are no issues or problems.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I'm trying to build a PC on PCS and usually use macrium weekly windows disk clones from SSD to disk on my current win 7 system and would like to do similar with a new windows PC.

I wonder does anyone know if there are differences in disk layouts of M2 SSD and sata SSD that would cause issues with a clone copy. At present I can use macrium to clone an SS evo 850 500gb system drive to an old WDC 700GB sata disk and in the Bios I test the clone every so often to make sure it works by booting from it if I needed to.

So I am planning to use a very fast SSD on the M2 with a slower Sata disk for the clone. Are these disk setups inherently the same apart from the speeds one can get on the M2 relative that of the Sata6 bus disks.

I have never had to use the clones in the past but as I say have always checked the clones and every so often boot to them for a day or so to make sure there are no issues or problems.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks.
A disk is a disk, doesn’t matter what physical format it is, and format SSD / HDD can be cloned in the same way.

Unwina

Silver Level Poster
Thanks I thought as much but i realised today when checking my clones on both a exisiting desktop and our laptop that I needed to understand what setups i needed to move forward on newer systems.

Many thanks for prompt response.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Cloning an SSD to an SSD won't be a problem, regardless of the type.

Cloning an HDD to an SSD can be a problem in some cases because the partition offset is slightly different between HDDs and SSDs, though most good clone tools allow for it. Macrium Reflect certainly does. [emoji846]

Unwina

Silver Level Poster
Cloning an SSD to an SSD won't be a problem, regardless of the type.

Cloning an HDD to an SSD can be a problem in some cases because the partition offset is slightly different between HDDs and SSDs, though most good clone tools allow for it. Macrium Reflect certainly does. [emoji846]
Thanks, I can also confirm that cloning an ordinary HDD to an SSD, particularly in the case of samsung SSD's definitely works. We did this on our Win7 laptops when we wanted to get the ssd up and running and replacing them. The worst probs with laptops is access to the disks but we have done this a few times in that direction now.

We've been using Macrium for a long while now too.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks, I can also confirm that cloning an ordinary HDD to an SSD, particularly in the case of samsung SSD's definitely works. We did this on our Win7 laptops when we wanted to get the ssd up and running and replacing them. The worst probs with laptops is access to the disks but we have done this a few times in that direction now.

We've been using Macrium for a long while now too.
There's shouldn't be any issue cloning from any format these days if you're using an established tool. I've used about 6 or 7 cloning tools from freeware to paid and they've all cloned fine from M2 / SATA / HDD, never had an issue.