Can I plug a wireless router into a ethernet switch?

jonbam

Enthusiast
Hi

I currently have a tp-link internet power socket plugged into a ethernet switch. (See The Diagram) I can share my internet with other devices if I plug a cat5 cable into the ethernet switch.

Can I plug a wireless router into the ethernet switch and get a wireless internet signal to connect to my laptop?

I'm sharing my internet access via the power socket, the router wireless signal is extremely poor, and I don't have access to it.

colin question homeplug-av-network-of-3-adapters.jpg

jonbam

Enthusiast
Can anyone recommend me a wireless router, to connect to the ethernet switch. If possible I'll like to stay with the TP-link brand?

steaky360

There are a few wireless routers TP-Link sell. I've not used any of them myself so can't comment. But you could also consider getting rid of the switch if you're going to get a wireless router (depending on how many ports the switch has of course). I personally use a wireless powerline adapter to extend my wireless coverage upstairs (although my PC is now wired through a normal homeplug :))

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I don't have a router recommendation, and you probably know this stuff anyway, but I just wanted to point out that yes, you can plug a wireless router into that switch and share your Internet connection. However, routers interconnect IP networks (and subnetworks). So you'll need to assign a static IP address to the router connection to the switch (192.168.1.x) but the pool of addresses the router serves via DHCP will need to be in a different network/subnet. 192.168.2.x would do, but I'd be tempted to use 10.x.x.x as the DHCP pool so that troubleshooting is easier. :)

jonbam

Enthusiast
I have found this router: TP-Link TL-WR841N 300Mbps Wireless N Cable Router £19.99

Will I be able to connect it to my TP-LINK TL-SG108 8-Port Metal Gigabit Ethernet Switch

advice 513g3RwKWzL._SL1000_.jpgadvice2 71sMRNjNX7L._SL1500_.jpgmyswitch 61IGYF8HT8L._SL1280_.jpg