Can I send in my own PSU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaffScallion

In my current build (also from PCS), I installed a Corsair HX850i Platinum PSU. Given this is more than sufficient for the new build I'm looking to get, and better than most of what PCS stock (without going overkill on e.g. a 1200W one) - can I send this in, like people send cases in, for them to use? It's still well within Corsair's 10 year warranty.

I spoke to a very helpful PCS rep over the phone who said it should be possible but to double-check by sending in an email, but no response since I sent that 2 days ago and very keen to order ASAP.

Thanks,

RaffScallion

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
In my current build (also from PCS), I installed a Corsair HX850i Platinum PSU. Given this is more than sufficient for the new build I'm looking to get, and better than most of what PCS stock (without going overkill on e.g. a 1200W one) - can I send this in, like people send cases in, for them to use? It's still well within Corsair's 10 year warranty.

I spoke to a very helpful PCS rep over the phone who said it should be possible but to double-check by sending in an email, but no response since I sent that 2 days ago and very keen to order ASAP.

Thanks,

RaffScallion
None of us work for PCS, you’d need to speak to them directly.

I personally don’t see how it would be possible as a second hand PSU has the potential to fry the whole PC so they wouldn’t be able to honour a warranty.

RaffScallion

None of us work for PCS, you’d need to speak to them directly.

I personally don’t see how it would be possible as a second hand PSU has the potential to fry the whole PC so they wouldn’t be able to honour a warranty.
Ok appreciated - I'm on the phone to them now; was more to check if anyone here had done it themselves and could advise.
It was purchased brand new from Amazon a few years ago and about 6 years still in warranty.

D

DeletedUser

Ok appreciated - I'm on the phone to them now; was more to check if anyone here had done it themselves and could advise.
It was purchased brand new from Amazon a few years ago and about 6 years still in warranty.

I think Spyder means the PCS warranty....what would happen if the PSU blew and fried something? Technically PCS would have to replace it as per the warranty...however, it is using a part you supplied ergo PCS could say that the warranty doesn't apply. It's very much a grey area. PCS have been know to allow parts outside cases be sent in but I'm not sure whether that would extend to what is a second hand part. Would be interesting to hear what the final position is

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I think Spyder means the PCS warranty....what would happen if the PSU blew and fried something? Technically PCS would have to replace it as per the warranty...however, it is using a part you supplied ergo PCS could say that the warranty doesn't apply. It's very much a grey area. PCS have been know to allow parts outside cases be sent in but I'm not sure whether that would extend to what is a second hand part. Would be interesting to hear what the final position is
This ^^^

PCS have no idea how it's been used, if within allowed parameters, what wattage system it was on, was it connected to surge protector etc etc etc.

I wouldn't have thought it was possible.

Gavras

Master Poster
Ignoring the warranty etc.

Will @RaffScallion cover any claim whereby a PCS Technician suffers harm due to a fault with your PSU?

Then of course there is the full CE side of things...

RaffScallion

Jokes aside though, can you cover someone going blind etc not being able to work?

This is the reality when people send their own stuff in.
Ok being serious, I get you. But it's a Corsair Platinum series, in a current PCS build, hooked up to a surge protector, working flawlessly for 3 years. Hardly a back-alley knockoff held together by duct tape and a dream

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Ok being serious, I get you. But it's a Corsair Platinum series, in a current PCS build, hooked up to a surge protector, working flawlessly for 3 years. Hardly a back-alley knockoff held together by duct tape and a dream
Yeah, but that’s just what your saying, no one has any evidence that that’s the case. Warranty is all about known quantities dictated from factory checked equipment.

You can’t apply warranty to used items.

If you had it sent to Corsair for testing so they could validate a new warranty, then perhaps but I don’t see it happening otherwise.

Gavras

Master Poster
Yeah but you dropped it eight times, it got left in the rain but you dried it out.

RaffScallion

You could always order the system with another cheaper PSU & then exchange it yourself
Thanks yeah - that'll be my fallback. Had to do that last time too and don't even know where the old PSU went haha. Time to dig out all my old parts to maybe make a Frankenstein system to sell to make some money back!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I would put money on the answer being no. PCS sell complete systems, not a kit of parts that you can pick and choose. The only component they do allow you to send in AFAIK is the case - because it's inert. But only PCS can confirm.

D

DeletedUser

I would put money on the answer being no. PCS sell complete systems, not a kit of parts that you can pick and choose. The only component they do allow you to send in AFAIK is the case - because it's inert. But only PCS can confirm.

There have been exceptions to that....I remember someone asking about sending in a part other than the case a while back (might have been a GPU), it was an uneqivocal no from the forum yet PCS said yes to it...on the other hand, PCS have said no to other requests as well. COuld simply be down to who you speak to etc

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
There have been exceptions to that....I remember someone asking about sending in a part other than the case a while back (might have been a GPU), it was an uneqivocal no from the forum yet PCS said yes to it...on the other hand, PCS have said no to other requests as well. COuld simply be down to who you speak to etc
A GPU I could understand though because it doesn't affect other components, but items like CPU/RAM/PSU/Mobo (any part of the platform), if there's a defect it would likely fry other components. In that case I don't see how they would accept second hand units and still cover warranty.

D

DeletedUser

A GPU I could understand though because it doesn't affect other components, but items like CPU/RAM/PSU/Mobo (any part of the platform), if there's a defect it would likely fry other components. In that case I don't see how they would accept second hand units and still cover warranty.

I totally agree with you...I can't see them accepting a non-brand new PSU either...it was more just to point out that they have been known to accept things other than cases.

Gavras

Master Poster
As someone who previously signed the technical files for Products that contained PC’s, Screens etc ((for CE).

There is a level of comfort where I was happy to change suppliers etc without the need to either formally retest the product or update the Tech file.

Power Supplies in all shapes and sizes where the single item where I always mandated a formal retest if to far adrift from original requirement, if close to it, then I had to officially sign to say I was approving this along with any issues (injury, loss of life) that may arise.

Anything that handles lethal voltages is not to be just taken for granted as ‘it’s just another PC component’.

RaffScallion

As someone who previously signed the technical files for Products that contained PC’s, Screens etc ((for CE).

There is a level of comfort where I was happy to change suppliers etc without the need to either formally retest the product or update the Tech file.

Power Supplies in all shapes and sizes where the single item where I always mandated a formal retest if to far adrift from original requirement, if close to it, then I had to officially sign to say I was approving this along with any issues (injury, loss of life) that may arise.

Anything that handles lethal voltages is not to be just taken for granted as ‘it’s just another PC component’.
'Lethal'? I presume PCS techs aren't handling components, including PSUs, with wet hands whilst wearing a suit of armour 🙃

Status
Not open for further replies.