Can I support it?

Zeeqo

Bronze Level Poster
Hi guys, one of my friends is selling his AMD 7970 and I was wondering if my power unit would support it? I know there seems to be problems regarding VS and CS power supply's with some GPU's. But would a 450W VS power supply cope with a 7970? Cheers

Edit: Checked google, no sites / forums mentioning types of power supply's

Last edited:

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I would have expected the HD 7970 needs more than 450w. Have you try to look at the manufacturers website for recommended PSU?

Topher

Bronze Level Poster
I have a 7850 and it has a 500w PSU, I'd expect the 7970 to need a 650w PSU

Apparently according to AMD the entire 7900 series only requires a 500w PSU

But then again I don't know if that is just the reference card they are talking about or 3rd-party ones IE Sapphire etc...

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
Apparently according to AMD the entire 7900 series only requires a 500w PSU

But then again I don't know if that is just the reference card they are talking about or 3rd-party ones IE Sapphire etc...

I wouldn't think so, I have an amd fx-6200 CPU and 7850 GPU and it uses nearly all 500w at some points. If I were you I'd go for a 650w PSU, best to have a bit too much power than not enough!

Boozad

Prolific Poster
I did a lot of research into GPUs and power requirements when I upgraded my 6670 in my backup rig. The highest I could stretch to on a 450W PSU was a 7850-DC2T and that was borderline, so I can't see the higher end 79XX series only needing 500W. In fact, trying to power a 7990 with a 500W PSU would be really interesting to see.

Zeeqo

Bronze Level Poster
Sorry to revive the dead thread here, but didn't think it was worth it to create another,

I currently have a 750ti but would like something better as anyone would. I was thinking would the performance of a 660Ti justify the cost? I've had a look around and its the best card I can get with my PSU

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Sorry to revive the dead thread here, but didn't think it was worth it to create another,

I currently have a 750ti but would like something better as anyone would. I was thinking would the performance of a 660Ti justify the cost? I've had a look around and its the best card I can get with my PSU

What is your full system?

Zeeqo

Bronze Level Poster
PCS ALPHA TRION 7622B BLACK CASE
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-4670 (3.4GHz) 6MB Cache
Change to: ASUS® Z87M-PLUS: m-ATX, USB3.0, SATA 6.0, XFIRE
Memory (RAM) 8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (2 x 4GB KIT)
Graphics Card 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 750 Ti - DVI, mHDMI, VGA - 3D Vision Ready
1st Hard Disk 1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1003FZEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Power Supply CORSAIR 450W VS SERIES™ VS-450 POWER SUPPLY
Processor Cooling Super Quiet 22dBA Triple Copper Heatpipe Intel CPU Cooler
USB Options MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 4 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
DVD Recovery Media Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) DVD with paper sleeve

Zeeqo

Bronze Level Poster
The last I recall the 760 needed a 500W I think. I would get a 660 from the upgrade service but i'd rather get a Ti instead from online

keynes

Multiverse Poster
The last I recall the 760 needed a 500W I think. I would get a 660 from the upgrade service but i'd rather get a Ti instead from online

That power requirements varies depending on your system, the configurator should give you a better idea.

Zeeqo

Bronze Level Poster
It says the I dont have the required amps, not even for the 660 so i may have to upgrade my psu. /sigh