Can I use an m.2 SSD as the boot drive on a defiance 15?

Hi I am getting a defiance 15 and i was wondering if in the future I will be able to buy a m.2 SSD and boot from that instead of the current main drive? The specs are as follows:
Chassis & Display Defiance Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD IPS LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-4720HQ (2.60GHz, 3.5GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM) 8GB KINGSTON SODIMM DDR3 1600MHz (1 x 8GB)
Graphics Card NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 970M - 3.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
Memory - Hard Disk 120GB SAMSUNG 650 SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 450MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk 500GB SERIAL ATA III 2.5" HARD DRIVE WITH 32MB CACHE (7,200rpm)
Memory Card Reader Integrated 6 in 1 Card Reader (SD /Mini SD/ SDHC / SDXC / MMC / RSMMC)
Thermal Paste ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card Intel 2 Channel High Def. Audio + MIC/Headphone + SoundBlaster X-Fi MB3
Bluetooth & Wireless GIGABIT LAN & KILLER™ 1525 WIRELESS GAMING 802.11N + BLUETOOTH 4.0
USB Options 4 x USB 3.0 PORTS (1 x POWERED, 1 e-SATA COMBINED)
Battery Defiance Series 4 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (60WH)
Power Lead & Adaptor 1 x UK Power Lead & 180W AC Adaptor
Keyboard Language DEFIANCE SERIES BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Operating System Genuine Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence
Windows 10 Upgrade FREE Upgrade to Windows 10 with all Windows 7 & Windows 8.1 Purchases*
DVD Recovery Media Windows 10 (64-bit) Professional DVD with paper sleeve
Office Software FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365
Anti-Virus BULLGUARD INTERNET SECURITY - FREE 90 DAY TRIAL
Browser Microsoft® Internet Explorer (Windows 7 & 8 Only)
Notebook Mouse INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam INTEGRATED 2.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM

I was also wondering if I should be getting a cooling stand for this laptop?
If anyone could help it would be appreciated.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
the m.2 should work just fine as a boot drive.

you can go ahead and grab a cooling stand if you want, it will certainly help and laptops need as much help as they can get.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Pretty much anything will do the job, obviously the more you spend the better you will get. Not just in terms of cooling performance but in terms of adjustability, robustness and comfort.

PCS sells the CoolerMaster U2 Plus which is decent if you just plan to use it on a desk

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
I have just taken delivery of a Defiance 15. I did the opposite to you - had two 512GB m2's fitted in RAID 0 for the boot drive. Have fitted a 1TB Crucial SATA SSD and 2TB SATA HDD in.

You could use intelligent imaging software to move from one to the other or just do a reinstall at a later date.