Can you still use onboard graphics with an overclocked i5?

blagradad

As I'm still a student saving up money takes a while so what I'm planning on doing is to get an i5 3570K processor but still use the onboard graphics from it till I save up for a decent graphics card. Now say the i5 is overclocked, can you still used the onboard graphics or must the cpu be at it's standard clock speed? Couldn't find an answer via google strangely.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Yeah im pretty sure you will be fine doing that.

whats the overclock for though mate? todays cpus are pretty strong at stock speeds already!

blagradad

Yeah im pretty sure you will be fine doing that.

whats the overclock for though mate? todays cpus are pretty strong at stock speeds already!
Mainly for gaming but as I've read time and time again through this forum that for gaming overclocking is not needed. I was just wondering if it could or not as I can get some good deals with a pre-overclocked system but just don't have the money for a graphics card to go with it. Could go with an AMD bulldozer processor but I see this computer to be an investment that will benefit me for say 4-5years+ and looking at benchmarks and what people say, it's intel i5 all the way.

I'm planning to get an i5-3570K mainly because it has a better onboard graphics than the non-k as I wouldn't have enough for a decent graphics card. So I'd stick with the onboard for a few months then get a 660ti if money allows at the time.

Thanks for the response. :)

Corfate

Author Level
You don't really need an OC for gaming, only intensive tasks like folding, photoshop etc.

I noticed no difference going from 3.5ghz to 4.5ghz gaming wise :)