Cancel Christmas...

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
...Cadbury (or whatever you like to call them these days) have discontinued Chocolate Coins!

Some bollocksexcuse about production being too fiddly and costly...WELL IT'S WORKED OK FOR THIS MANY YEARS!

Who could have guessed that when Kraft bought them 4 years ago stuff like this would happen...oh that's right, everybody :)

Ash

I read the reason was because people prefer to buy the much cheaper supermarket own brand coins.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Bah! Humbug! It's still October, there are still tourists here in Crete, what's with all this talk of Christmas? It's weeks and weeks away yet! Anyway, now you can buy stuff with smartphones, tablets and what-have-you the kids of today probably think coins are something Stone Age man used.......

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Bah! Humbug! It's still October, there are still tourists here in Crete, what's with all this talk of Christmas? It's weeks and weeks away yet! Anyway, now you can buy stuff with smartphones, tablets and what-have-you the kids of today probably think coins are something Stone Age man used.......

You're showing your age ubuysa, the term "stone age man" is so last year :tt2:

Androcles

Rising Star
I have literally just been expressing my opinion on this to the CEO of Premier foods (Cadbury's license holder), poor guy was only parking his car and got yelled at :p

Last edited:

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I heard it was something to do with the chocolate coins being in gold wrappers, cadburys wanted them in purple wrappers, but ofc gold is the colour for christmas, so they scrapped them completely.

Androcles

Rising Star
I heard it was something to do with the chocolate coins being in gold wrappers, cadburys wanted them in purple wrappers, but ofc gold is the colour for christmas, so they scrapped them completely.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was the reason to be honest. For the last 10 years or so the original Smash Mash robots have been proudly displayed in the reception of Premier Foods International (they hold the license for making most Cadbury food products in the UK and parts of Europe and are responsible for other well known brands such as Ambrosia, Bisto, OXO, Kipling, Sharwood's, Batchelor's, Loyd Grossman, Bird's, Angel Delight, Atora, SAXA, Paxo, Lyons, Marvel, Homepride and McDougalls), last week I sadly watched as the display was taken down, packed up and shipped off to a museum, apparently the reason was "they are no longer in line with the modern image of the company" :(

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
We were in the local Lidl supermarket yesterday (I'm in Crete remember) and they had gold wrapped chocolate coins for sale. It might be worth taking a look at your own local Lidl because they have pretty much the same stuff in all of them I think? I didn't look to see who made these coins but it will almost certainly not be a UK company.

randommonicle

Gold Level Poster
In other choclate related news, apparently the supply of choclate might be running out? How will we all cope with such an eventuality?

Androcles

Rising Star
In other choclate related news, apparently the supply of choclate might be running out? How will we all cope with such an eventuality?

I cry foul on that one. Chocolate is made from cocoa beans which are the dried seeds of the cacao tree, to run out of chocolate every cacao tree would have to die and believe me I've seen pictures of the cacao plantations, there's hundreds of thousands of them trees lol

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I cry foul on that one. Chocolate is made from cocoa beans which are the dried seeds of the cacao tree, to run out of chocolate every cacao tree would have to die and believe me I've seen pictures of the cacao plantations, there's hundreds of thousands of them trees lol

I thought chocolate came from the river at the chocolate factory?