Cannot start new laptop - Defiance Series: 17.3 - should I sent its back?

Ricardo

Just got a new Defiance Series: 17.3 Today. Unfortunatley, I bought this with Win 11. On the start, the on the forth step (Win11) setup, system asked me for a PIN. Then hung up...

This quite well now bug

Unfortunatley I cannot go forward. If I tried without wifi, ask for connection. I am trying to do Alt-Tab so I could see the missing windows, but cannpot type there. Is there any sollution or sent it back, ask for refund and buy another laptop?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Could you post your full specs from the order page please?

I am trying to do Alt-Tab so I could see the missing windows, but cannpot type there
Sorry, could you clarify what you mean by this? Is alt tab not working?

Unfortunatley, I bought this with Win 11. On the start, the on the forth step (Win11) setup, system asked me for a PIN. Then hung up...
What do you mean by "hung up"? Do you mean a bsod?

Ricardo

Chassis & DisplayDefiance Series: 17.3" Matte, Full HD, 144Hz, Pantone Validated 72% NTSC, LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™ i7 14 Core Processor 12700H (4.7GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)64GB Corsair 3200MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 32GB)
Graphics CardNVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 3070 Ti - 8.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st M.2 SSD Drive2TB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 7000MB/R, 5000MB/W)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Chassis & DisplayDefiance Series: 17.3" Matte, Full HD, 144Hz, Pantone Validated 72% NTSC, LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Graphics CardNVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 3070 Ti - 8.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
Could you post the full specs please, but remove your windows license?

Ricardo

I got exactly what in this video above. Cannot go forward. Found a sollution on the interenet, to click alt-tab, to see missing PIN window, I could see it for a moment as long as I hold alt+tab. When I am trying to do anything its dissapear.

Ricardo

AC Adaptor1 x 230W AC Adaptor
Power Cable1 x 1.5 Metre Cloverleaf UK Power Cable
BatteryDefiance Series Integrated 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (80WH)
Thermal PasteARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & WirelessGIGABIT LAN & KILLER™ Wi-Fi 6E AX1675 M.2 GAMING + BLUETOOTH 5.3
USB/Thunderbolt Options1 x THUNDERBOLT 4 PORT + 3 x USB 3.2 PORTS
Keyboard LanguagePER-KEY RGB BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD
Operating System LanguageUnited Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery MediaWindows 10/11 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office SoftwareFREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-VirusNO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
BrowserFirefox™
Notebook MouseINTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
WebcamINTEGRATED 1MP HD WEBCAM
Warranty3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
AC Adaptor1 x 230W AC Adaptor
Power Cable1 x 1.5 Metre Cloverleaf UK Power Cable
BatteryDefiance Series Integrated 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (80WH)
Thermal PasteARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & WirelessGIGABIT LAN & KILLER™ Wi-Fi 6E AX1675 M.2 GAMING + BLUETOOTH 5.3
USB/Thunderbolt Options1 x THUNDERBOLT 4 PORT + 3 x USB 3.2 PORTS
Keyboard LanguagePER-KEY RGB BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD
Operating System LanguageUnited Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery MediaWindows 10/11 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office SoftwareFREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-VirusNO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
BrowserFirefox™
Notebook MouseINTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
WebcamINTEGRATED 1MP HD WEBCAM
Warranty3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
If it were me, I'd just do a clean install of windows, only takes about 10 minutes and would probably be a lot quicker than trying to troubleshoot.

That error will normally occur if there's no network connection. On Windows 11 you have to have a network connection to set up the PC.

Also, if you're alt tabbing, you won't be able to see the PIN entry window, but it will have focus, so you just type the PIN and should be good to go.

Ricardo

Yes. But even with a new installation, the problem will be the same. Windows will ask me for a loging and password, the for a PIN creation, which for some resone doesnt work here on Defiance. I will ask for Technical Support tomorrow, and if they cannot fix it will sent it back, and will try to buy another laptop with better W11 support or with W10. Thank you for your help.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yes. But even with a new installation, the problem will be the same. Windows will ask me for a loging and password, the for a PIN creation, which for some resone doesnt work here on Defiance. I will ask for Technical Support tomorrow, and if they cannot fix it will sent it back, and will try to buy another laptop with better W11 support or with W10. Thank you for your help.
It works fine on any laptop, there are millions of people with this same laptop running windows 11 absolutely fine, the issue is you're trying to setup the account without internet which won't work.

All you need to do is alt tab until the PIN window has focus and then enter the PIN, or just clean install and connect internet when setting up.

I'm afraid that video you linked they don't understand how windows 11 setup works, you have to set up a microsoft account at setup, only once you're in windows can you then create a local account. You can't do initial setup without internet connectivity. Not on home edition anyway, which is what you have.

Last edited:

Ricardo

Internet was finem as I was asked for login and password and worked. Alt-tab work, but cannot type PIN on the small window.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Internet was finem as I was asked for login and password and worked. Alt-tab work, but cannot type PIN on the small window.
Ok, you're not understanding what's being said, so we're not going to be able to help unfortunately.

Your best bet is to phone PCS support.

But it's a very easy fix.

Ricardo

Right, sorted.
I strongly advise against Windws 11 as a Windows startup for a new laptop. Better to order W10 and then update. I lost 4 hours on the last evening, only by accident the start screen surprised as offline and I was able to complete the process without creating a PIN. Thank you for all your help yesterday, as always, a fantastic forum.